Talk

Advanced search

Talk dauphinoise to me (& any other simple dishes)

(11 Posts)
1000hobnobs Wed 25-Jan-17 05:23:03

I've been stuck in a cooking rut for a long time now but realised this morning that I've never made dauphinoise shock

Obviously it is now on the menu for tomorrow night but how do you make yours?

Can I dauphin-up any root vegetable of my choice?

What other vegetarian side dishes do you cook? I'm in the habit of just doing the same few one pot dinners, omelettes, baked potatoes and roasts. Yawn... I need inspiration (but nothing too faffy).

Joinourclub Wed 25-Jan-17 05:33:26

Beetroot dauphinois is AMAZING

Nakedavenger74 Wed 25-Jan-17 05:51:10

See my recipe for cauli cheese on the cauli cheese thread! Winner!

Mominatrix Wed 25-Jan-17 06:03:09

Slice peeled floury potatoes on a mandolin and place in a bowl which has a mixture of minced garlic, cream, milk, salt and white pepper. toss to coat the potato slices. layer the potato in a gratin dish. heat the milk/cream mixture until just under a boil and tip in gratin dish (potatoes should not be covered, liquid just below the top layer).

Place gratin dish in preheated 190C oven and bake for 30-35 minutes until top is nicely browned.

You can mix other veg into the gratin - swede, jerusalem artichoke, sweet potato, courgette, cauliflower.

Other vegetarian sides:
courgette and roast tomato gratin
roasted cauliflower
roasted spiced butternut squash slices with greek yoghurt and tahini sauce
braised carrots
lightly steamed spinach with sesame oil
supergreen salad (steamed broccoli, sauteed sugar snap peas and mange tout, thinly sliced fennel, red onion, pumpkin seeds, simple vinaigette)
ratatouille
lightly pickled cucumber batons (marinated in rice wine, a pinch of sugar, splash of sesame oil)

1000hobnobs Wed 25-Jan-17 08:21:52

Thank you!

I want to eat it today but have to wait for the husband...

I've ordered the River Cottage veg book in the hope that it will provide some inspiration. I buy the same food every time I go to the supermarket therefore always seem to make the same meals... My inner shopper believes that all meals revolve around onions and red peppers.

I'll definitely try a beetroot dauphinoise!

1000hobnobs Wed 25-Jan-17 08:28:30

And mominatrix thank you for reminding me of cucumber salad. I had the most amazing garlic cucumbers in Japan and have made them a few times but completely forgot... This is another problem I have - I never write down or store any meals successes anywhere.

HeyMacWey Wed 25-Jan-17 08:35:26

One of my favourite side dishes is this parsnip and celeriac bake

Penfold007 Wed 25-Jan-17 08:40:26

My family also like Boulanger Potatoes. Finally slice potatoes and onions, lightly butter an ovenproof dish, layer potatoes and onions season with pepper and a little salt, make top layer potato. Add hot stock and if liked dot with butter. 180 for about an hour, test with a knife. Yummy and yes you can vary the veg combo.

canihaveacoffeeplease Wed 25-Jan-17 16:44:23

Cheffy and brilliant!) way to dondauphinoise, potatoes of the gods!!

Mandolin potatoes so really thin. Meanwhile, reduce cream in a deep pan with thyme, minced garlic, lots of salt and pepper. You need way more salt than you think cos potatoes absorb loads, so while the cream would taste too salty, the end dish is yum.

Add potatoes to pan, bring back to boil and cook for 5-8 mins so potatoes are going soft and there isn't much excess cream.

Pour into dish keeping some big nice slices t make the top pretty. Bake for 30-40 mins at 180 until cooked through. Amazing! Enjoy!

1000hobnobs Wed 25-Jan-17 16:51:19

I'm looking forward to this... Faints

4merlyknownasSHD Thu 26-Jan-17 10:27:06

Nice to interleaf with celeriac.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now