Talk

Advanced search

A hungry DH and filling foods

(6 Posts)
mumhum Tue 24-Jan-17 21:31:53

DH has a bigger appetite than me. Both of us are fit and a healthy weight, it's just that he simply needs more fuel. Other than simply increasing his portion size at evening meal (when he is most hungry), any tips on how else he can fill up healthily? I try and encourage him to take time to eat properly in the day so he doesn't arrive home starving but more often than not he does. Any help much appreciated.

AnotherRubberDuck Tue 24-Jan-17 21:45:22

Soup is good at filling you up. Have it for a starter or a cup-a-soup with your meal.
Also increasing your water intake makes you feel fuller.
Have fruit / nuts as filling healthy snacks during the day.
Supper after your dinner can help to stop snacking on rubbish foods. DH has taken to having a bowl of cereal for supper, I prefer a sandwich or soup or eggs of some sort.

RB68 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:00:19

I would second some soup - make it veggie and its healthy. A side salad. Just give him slightly more of everything and the bigger protein portion Having yogurt and fruit for dessert. A small amount of cheese and crackers for supper

I have a hubby who needs more than me at a main meal Ijoke he is a meat and 5 veg man!!! Drives me mad wanting loads of different veg with one meal.

Blondie1984 Tue 24-Jan-17 22:09:28

How long does it tend to be between him getting home and you eating?
If it's an hour or so then you could encourage him to have a small snack - like a handful of nuts - nothing too large but still very nutritious

The soup idea from PP is a good one but avoid cup-a-soups if you can - they are packed with salt and sometimes sugar - the ideal would be to make a batch at the weekend and then have it through the week but there are also some pretty good ones available in the supermarket

What does he tend to have for lunch? And does he take snacks with him? If he doesn't then getting him some might be an idea - if it's to hand then you are more likely to eat it than if you have to make an effort to go and find something

A glass of milk with dinner would be another way he could fill up

AtleastitsnotMonday Wed 25-Jan-17 10:05:25

Maybe try having two courses rather than one? If they contain protein even better. So look to add either a starter or dessert. Like pps have said soups would be ideal but even a salad with walnuts or egg or pulses. Otherwise things like Greek yoghurt and fruit, rice pudding or banana and custard for pudding may help.
Is his breakfast protein rich? I think that sets you off feeling satisfied. Things like eggs, beans on toast, avocado on toast or adding nuts to muesli.
Also is he taking on enough fluids throughout the day? It's really common for people to confuse thirst with hunger.

KitKat1985 Wed 25-Jan-17 12:23:32

What is he eating for lunch at the moment? And what sort of things does he like to eat?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now