Talk

Advanced search

Vegan meal ideas

(14 Posts)
liontigertoucan Tue 24-Jan-17 18:36:32

Hi all

I have a vegan friend coming to stay soon and I need some relatively easy but tasty vegan meal ideas. I have a 3 month old so can't spend long in the kitchen.

Ideally need breakfast, lunch and dinner options.

Is there anyone able to help?

Thanks smile

Janey50 Tue 24-Jan-17 18:40:56

Have a look online at Jamie Oliver vegan meal ideas. I'm not a vegan (just semi-vegetarian) but I must admit some of them look yummy!

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 24-Jan-17 21:20:36

These BNS falafel are delicious. Just make sure you use a bread that contains no milk for the breadcrumbs.

Sadik Tue 24-Jan-17 21:28:49

Breakfast: Toast / non-dairy spread / jam, cereal with non-dairy milk (I'd ask if she has a preferred type), porridge with non-dairy milk

Lunches - hummus/salad/bread, soup/bread (squash soup is very tasty - soften a couple of onions in olive oil, add squash cut in chunks & a couple of cloves crushed garlic & fry a bit more, add 1 tsp cumin powder, water to just cover the squash and a good teaspoon bouillon power, bring to boil & simmer til soft, then blend & add more seasoning / some lemon juice if needed to sharpen it up a bit)

Sadik Tue 24-Jan-17 21:30:47

Curries also very easy to make vegan - I like squash & chickpea thai style curry with coconut milk

Blogwoman Tue 24-Jan-17 21:31:32

My DD is a recent vegan so we're learning! Breakfast is easy: soya yogurts, soya/other milk alternative for cereal/porridge (& use in tea & coffee), or my DD's fave - avocado on toast. Use Pure or other non-dairy spread in place of butter. Lunches could be jacket potatoes with baked beans, soups (plenty of options) or pittas/sandwich with hummus & salad, or peanut butter. For evening meals take a look at BBC Good Food website or the veganuary website. We make lots of vege curries & do pasta dishes based on tomatoes, onion & mushrooms. Another easy option is to replace sausages with vegan sausages (e.g. Linda McCartney) & do veges & potatoes alongside as normal. Many vegan products around in shops these days & 'accidentally vegan' things (like Oreos & crumpets!).

Blogwoman Tue 24-Jan-17 21:33:32

Good advice from Sadik to check which 'milk' she prefers - they vary a lot. Also coconut is fabulous in so many ways for a vegan diet... Shame some people loathe it!

Cineraria Tue 24-Jan-17 21:42:38

A very quick to prep but slightly fancy dish, e.g. if the rest of the family is having a roast or meat, potato, veg, gravy type meal can be a mushroom Wellington.

Clean a big Portobello mushroom and dig out the stalk.

Shred up a couple of handfuls of spinach and mix with a tablespoon of nut butter (almond is tastiest but peanut is higher in iron). Stuff that into the mushroom

Cover with a square of puff pastry (Jus-rol do a lighter one that's vegan) tucking the corners under the mushroom

Cook on 200°C for 20 minutes.

You can add anything you fancy to the spinach and almond butter stuffing. We add ground pumpkin seeds for extra iron rich protein and added chopped chestnuts at Christmas but if you do the basic one it's really quick.

lastqueenofscotland Tue 24-Jan-17 22:56:29

Quick ones
Falafel
Pitta and hummus
Pasta (dried is usually vegan) and tomato sauce

also
Curries are super easy to made vegan
Stir fry and rice noodles
Risotto with olive oil not butter
Lentil and bean chilli
Fajitas with veggies

MelanieCheeks Tue 24-Jan-17 23:01:22

Peppers stuffed with mushroom quinoa.

Baked sweet potato with black beans and avocado ( a deliciously Ella recipe)

Brazil nut and butternut squash curry ( gok wan)

FeelingSmurfy Wed 25-Jan-17 00:58:59

Foods you may have that are surprisingly vegan

page one
page two

SpongebobRoundPants Wed 25-Jan-17 09:45:02

Breakfast-
Porridge w soya or almond milk
Fruit
Soya yoghurt
Toast with Peanut butter

Lunch-
Sandwiches or wraps
Pasta
Salad with nuts, seeds ,avocado, chickpeas, lentils, pasta etc

Dinner-
Chickpea/vegetable/tofu curries and stews
Pasta with tomatoe sauce and roasted veg
Mexican rice with avocado
Lentil loaf
Couscous stuffed roast peppers and sweet potato fries
Veggie sausages

ilovetocook Wed 25-Jan-17 14:47:51

bbc good food have a few, one of our favourites is the spinach,sweet potato lentil dhal and this chilli is a regular on our menu even though we aren't vegan
frugalfeeding.com/2011/10/01/lentil-and-kidney-bean-chilli/

LauraMipsum Wed 25-Jan-17 15:06:13

You have a 3 month old. Tell her she's doing the cooking!

Alternatively:
Breakfast - cereal or porridge with plant milk / toast / Jus-Rol pain au chocolat

Lunch - soup & toast / bread and hummus / pasta with cherry tomatoes and olives

Dinner - Thai green curry / fried plantain with rice and peas / stir fry and noodles / full roast dinner without the meat! / Linda McCartney sausage and mash / Fry's nuggets and chips

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now