Talk

Advanced search

Please share your cauliflower cheese recipe! !!

(29 Posts)
MrsA2015 Mon 23-Jan-17 23:41:09

I can't make it to save my life for some reason it never comes out "right"

I steam the cauliflower a little first, make the cheese sauce with a dash of dijon then bake. Just never comes out right!

How do you do yours?

PenguinsandPebbles Mon 23-Jan-17 23:47:48

Similar to you but I add a ton of grated cheese and make sure the sauce is fairly thick.

Comes out great, sorry I think smile

CaptainWarbeck Tue 24-Jan-17 03:47:37

Watching this, mine never tastes right either sad

TheMysteriousJackelope Tue 24-Jan-17 03:58:20

I don't bother baking it, I steam the cauliflower and put some mustard into the cheese sauce (English not Dijon) and then pour it over and serve.

Maybe a few drops of Worcestershire sauce would help?

tattychicken Tue 24-Jan-17 04:12:45

Lots of mature cheddar, Dijon, white pepper.

ImYourMama Tue 24-Jan-17 05:13:11

Aldi's frozen bags of it for 89p (sorry!)

isthismylifenow Tue 24-Jan-17 06:39:43

Cook the cauliflower 3/4 way through, make a really cheesy sauce, not too runny. Pour over the cauliflower and sprinkle the top with more grated cheese and a few breadcrumbs.

isthismylifenow Tue 24-Jan-17 06:40:11

Sorry, then bake so that the top grills

walruswhiskers Tue 24-Jan-17 06:43:48

Cauli def needs to be 3/4 cooked. I make one with Cauli and broccoli, topped with leek fried in butter (add a few chilli flakes to the melting butter) then cheese sauce with lots more cheese on top. Then bake for 30-40 mins. Delish.

Cookingongas Tue 24-Jan-17 08:40:26

I cook my cauli and cheese sauce seperatly, mix, add extra grated cheese and then blow torch the top to look like I've baked it blush

SuperFlyHigh Tue 24-Jan-17 10:06:09

Cauliflower, 3/4 cooked, thick cheese sauce then in oven to bake.

What leek says though, try this with it:-

Honey roast ham, wrapped over leeks, with cheese sauce on top. Not sure if you add any herbs or Spices but delicious and nice with cauliflower cheese.

SleepingBooty Tue 24-Jan-17 10:08:16

Aldi frozen here too.
Otherwise I just pour cheese sauce over cooked cauliflower and broccoli although it misses the crispy bits.

ElphabaTheGreen Tue 24-Jan-17 10:12:59

This recipe is foolproof.

PurpleMcPants Tue 24-Jan-17 10:17:49

I'm making cauli cheese today. Loads of cheddar in the sauce, cook the cauli first. I don't use mustard, I add nutmeg to the sauce and top it with more cheddar and Parmesan.

pimmsy Tue 24-Jan-17 10:25:31

good suggestions! I would also make sure the cauilflower is as dry as possible before adding the cheese sauce on top, make sure it steams itself dry so it doesn't make the sauce too runny.

I parboil the cauliflower, let it dry and then make a very very thick béchamel to which I add a dash of white white , a bayleaf or two, a big spoon of mustard, some smoked paprika and all the dead ends of cheese I have in the fridge. I top it with very fine bread crumbs and dot it with butter. I find it's always nicer once its been cooked, cooled down and reheated!

user1485203496 Tue 24-Jan-17 10:26:49

My recipe is incredible ... I go to Iceland buy a bag for £1.50 and cook it. Happy days, it's delicious smile

TreacleTreacleLittleStar Tue 24-Jan-17 10:27:13

Make sure the sauce is super super thick as lot's of water comes out of cauliflower so it will be too runny otherwise x

SuperFlyHigh Tue 24-Jan-17 10:31:27

Agree with treacle thicker the better for the sauce!

SuperFlyHigh Tue 24-Jan-17 10:32:02

Oh yes and lots of cheddar cheese.

TheScottishPlay Tue 24-Jan-17 10:32:22

Boil/steam cauliflower. Use 70% milk and 30% water used to cook the cauli in to make the cheese sauce. I use English mustard and different cheeses in the sauce. Always put in the oven with cheese grated over it.

wifework Tue 24-Jan-17 10:33:13

Make sure you give the cauliflower time to drain a bit. Seems to come out better if I parboil and drain than if I steam.

Tubbyinthehottub Tue 24-Jan-17 10:37:30

I steam the cauliflower then dry it out in the oven while I'm making the sauce otherwise it can go runny.

MrsA2015 Tue 24-Jan-17 11:06:29

Sounds like what I do but my sauce tends to "bake" or just stay very runny. NO matter how much cheese I put in, it's not oozy and stringy like on telly and I don't use horrible cheese either, mature or extra mature with extra on top! How long do you all put yours in oven for perhaps I'm over baking

pimmsy Tue 24-Jan-17 11:19:03

Hello MrsA,

I bake for about half an hour/40 minutes.

If yours is too runny I would

-Make sure you dry the cauliflower out for about 10 minutes in a warm oven before adding the cheese sauce

-Make sure your bechamel is very very thick, like a paste almost, a bit like choux pastry

For the stringy cheese sauce,

I add Gruyère , comté or cantal ( or cheddar if I can find any, I'm abroad) for taste and then an obscene amount of cheap orange mimolette for "stringyness"

Also It's good to let it "firm-up" for about 15 minutes before serving, even better, make it the day before and just reheat!

Nakedavenger74 Tue 24-Jan-17 20:29:11

Mine is the easiest and the best Cauli Cheese ever. Never fails. Quick. Even cauli cheese haters love it!

I don't like CC that just tastes of white sauce that has been shown some cheddar. I despise white sauce. So mine is basically cheese and no need for pre cook.
Below is based is one normal sized cauli.

Floret the cauli and place in a baking dish stem down.
In a pan melt 3/4 of a garlic Boursin with a good glug of white wine. Add a good glug of milk and a good glug of single cream until combined. Add whatever cheese you have; strong cheddar, parmesan, feta, blue cheese. It should be the thickness of double cream. Add more wine or milk to get the consistency you need. Make it thicker than you would as the cauli will let out water during cooking. Pour sauce over cauli. It should thickly coat the top of the cauli. Grate over more cheese. Bung in oven for around 40 mins until top is brown and cauli cooked.

Gorgeous! Prep is about 5 minutes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now