Talk

Advanced search

Lets list all our favourite foods which are good for you - the ones that even if they DID have loads of calories and fat etc, are so good you still couldn't resist.

(37 Posts)
TinyGang Sat 24-Feb-07 15:00:10

Inspire me..please!

Must start eating less of the bad stuff, but the good stuff can be a bit dull by comparison. I always ruin the virtuosity of salads because I love dressings and potato salad and all the naughty stuff.

What's as good as chocolate (that you can eat, before anyone says 'sex'!) but leaves your good intentions intact?

What I really want is to wake up like Woody Allen in Sleeper and find that chocolate cake is good for you<sigh>

noddyholder Sat 24-Feb-07 15:01:55

strawberries
oatcakes
salmon
tuna
pears
smoothies

FrannyandZooey Sat 24-Feb-07 15:08:46

grapes
pineapple
strawberries
melon
clementines
peaches
<<drooling>>

hummus is a good dressing to have with salad - it is fatty, but will help satisfy your hunger, and has plenty of calcium and protein in as well

motherinferior Sat 24-Feb-07 15:10:30

Mangoes.

In fact, frozen mango chunks and frozen blueberries, slightly defrosted, make the most blissful sorbet-ish pudding which I scoff in huge quantities, and would scoff even if etc etc etc...

SSShakeTheChi Sat 24-Feb-07 15:11:21

Love red peppers, tomatoes and onion

but then I'm weird

marthamoo Sat 24-Feb-07 15:12:09

I misunderstood the thread title and was thinking about foods which are high in fat/and or calories but still good for you. Avocadoes and nuts came to mind...

berolina Sat 24-Feb-07 15:12:30

fruit - strawberries, ripe sweet plums, peaches, lovely crispy apples.

baked hokkaido pumpkin

falafel

yummy sticky flapjacks

porridge

German pumpkin-seed and carrot bread

StrangeTown Sat 24-Feb-07 15:12:59

avocado
wholemeal toast with marmite
homemade chicken and vegetable soup
granola
carrot cake
roasted parsnips

berolina Sat 24-Feb-07 15:13:28

oh, bread and marmite. Am eating same right now <yum>

TinyGang Sat 24-Feb-07 15:14:06

Yes, like all of those things, do eat them and enjoy them, but....I wouldn't think 'ohh a melon that'll hit the spot.'

SSShakeTheChi Sat 24-Feb-07 15:14:50

berolina, that's naughty. Yummy sticky flapjacks are NOT good for you!!!!

berolina Sat 24-Feb-07 15:16:32

yes they are! all those oats and dates, very worthy...

TinyGang Sat 24-Feb-07 15:16:39

Sorry marthamoo...bit of a daft thread title. I thought that after I'd done it!

TinyGang Sat 24-Feb-07 15:18:59

I just think I'm going to have to change one or two bad habits I've been getting into but it's that 'deprived' feeling I hate.

motherinferior Sat 24-Feb-07 15:20:19

I tell you, that mango/blueberry lark is quite utterly blissful.

sauce Sat 24-Feb-07 15:20:24

pancakes?

TinyGang Sat 24-Feb-07 15:22:09

Now I wouldn't have thought of that combination MI...will try.

motherinferior Sat 24-Feb-07 15:22:45

Very easy to do. Purchase in bags, whizz briefly to defrost in mike. Slurp.

SSShakeTheChi Sat 24-Feb-07 15:23:10

weird as I am I honestly like crispbread with cottage cheese. However I like salt and vinegar crisps more

TinyGang Sat 24-Feb-07 15:23:25

pancakes are good sauce, but then there was that thread about having them with Nutella and I was dribbling at that thought

motherinferior Sat 24-Feb-07 15:23:35

also frozen berries and a sliced banana whizzed round till hot. V nice at breakfast. Although admittedly it would make a divine sauce for vanilla ice cream too.

TinyGang Sat 24-Feb-07 15:26:33

Now you see MI that's just what I do...come up with a virtuous idea then make it even better(or should that be worse!) by pouring it over something naughty!

sauce Sat 24-Feb-07 15:27:00

WW advocates baked pots but can't imagine them without sour cream or sour cream & baked beans. yum.

motherinferior Sat 24-Feb-07 15:27:12

Yes, but if you must, pour it over fat-free greek yogurt.

sauce Sat 24-Feb-07 15:30:41

Fat-free anything is so... so... urgh! Fat-free cheese (or even low-fat) tastes like rubber, skim milk nasty, fat-free yogurt sour & thin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now