Talk

Advanced search

Needed: Vodka cocktail recipies that are sooooooooo good ;)

(27 Posts)
Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 09:52:12

Its DP's birthday today, he has gone diving in a quarry in wales and when he gets back will be all tired and groggy!
However.....DD is at parents tonight and this will be our first night out in aaaagggggesss so i want to give him a drink that is nice and zingy that will make him want to go out instead of 'getting a takeaway and a bottle of wine'
We usually drink wine but after christmas have had enough and Jack Daniels doesnt seem to agree with him anymore.
I have NO IDEA about cocktails - please help or offer suggestions so this mummy can have a night off!

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 10:08:34

Moscow mules?

Only a simple drink - barely a cocktail but quite zingy.

vodka, ice, generous amount of lime, top up with ginger beer/ale.

Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 10:22:59

mmmmmm - sounds nice!
I want more of these yummy beverages!!!

Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 11:03:05

perhaps a little too early for some??!!

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 11:06:30

googling for cocktails usually quite good.

Most cocktails are obviously going to require several ingredients and without knowing what you have, it's quite difficult to recommend anything else.

One good zingy one my friend makes is the curacao cooler - which is vodka, triple sec, curacao (that weird blue stuff!), orange juice and sugar syrup. Goes a beautiful greeny colour and is very refreshing and 'uppy' but most people dont have triple sec or curacao.

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 11:07:57

got the ingredients a bit wrong!

1 oz triple sec
1/2 oz vodka
1/2 oz Blue Curacao liqueur
1/2 oz lime juice
1/2 oz lemon juice
1/2 oz orange juice
1/2 oz sugar syrup
4 oz lemonade

Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 11:27:37

Sounds like your weekends are great!!!
Not a WKD in sight!!!!!! (or whatever they are called!)

I was thinking something quite simple like vodka, cranberry and ice and something else
or a had a champagne cocktail at my friends house and it had a sugar cube in it and some other stuff!
I have goggled and found this seabreeze

Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 11:28:37

Not sure what they mean by 'shot' - i feel so dim

sophiewd Sat 24-Feb-07 11:41:49

We had see breezes on Thursday, they were fab, a shot is 25 ml/ 35 mlo can't remember the measurement but make as strong or as weak as you like

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 11:46:57

Champagne cocktails are great. Quite lethal too.

Take a sugarlump, put on a good few drops of angostura bitters, drop in tumbler, swirl it around the glass.

Add shot of brandy.

Top up with champagne.

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 11:48:09

seabreezes also good. A bit sour and more summery perhaps, but nice.

(feeling like an alcoholic)

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 11:50:48

didn't mean tumbler - meant champagne glass.

ScottishThistle Sat 24-Feb-07 11:57:20

For an instant buzz I've never had a more effective coctail than a shambles:

A shot of vodka, red bull & champagne srved very cold!

Oh I love it so much I now at 11:57am want to go out! (slightly worried emoticon)

ScottishThistle Sat 24-Feb-07 12:03:46

I really must stop trying to type under the influence! (joke)

Cocktail & served!

Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 12:32:23

ha ha - we could open a tasters thread!
aDad - i like the idea of a tumbler
Scottishthistle - what amounts do you put in?
Are they pleasant to drink or does the redbull over power everything?
MMMM shambles!
Do you think if i choose a cocktail i need to stick to the same one? (I had the idea of having a few before we go out!)

Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 13:06:24

SCOTHTHISTLE!
Come back!

ScottishThistle Sat 24-Feb-07 13:12:15

Hey Nixz!

The measurees are 1 part vodka, 2parts red bull (sugar free has a less powerful taste)& 1 part Champagne but feel free to change it to your liking!...I just love the stuff, one drink & you feel ready to PARTY.

Mixing cocktails isn't something I'd happily advise unless you can spend the whole day in bed tomorrow!!!

beanie2bump Sat 24-Feb-07 13:13:24

vodka and strawberry milkshake blended, yum

ScottishThistle Sat 24-Feb-07 13:14:21

Measurees...oh for god sake anyone would think I was sipping a shambles for lunch, I wish!

Oh & If you don't want it to be really expensive you can use Cava instead of Champagne!

sauce Sat 24-Feb-07 13:20:10

I adore vodka & used to guzzle vodka-tonics with lots of ice & a good squish of lime. But tonic is loaded with sugar. Then went on to seabreezes but cranberry juice also loaded with sugar. (Can't stand the "diet" alternatives, yuck). So, I made up vodka, fresh orange juice, cranberry juice topped up with soda water. Excellent & very refreshing.

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 13:31:05

I reckon mixing these would be ok, as long as you keep to vodka based ones. After all the alcohol is being diluted in all of them.

But if you factor in the champagne/brandy too that's asking for a headache! (nothing like a JD headache though - that stuff is evil)

Nixz Sat 24-Feb-07 16:11:07

I have champers, redbull, ice, vodka, cranberry and grapefruit!
Yum yum!!!
Thanks all - i will let you know how they taste!

aDad Sat 24-Feb-07 16:14:00

maybe you should put a 'watch' on the hangover cure thread that was running today.

Have fun

ScottishThistle Sun 25-Feb-07 11:58:34

Hi Nixs!

How was your night & are you suffering BIG time???

Kelly1978 Sun 25-Feb-07 12:13:02

I guess you are sitll in bed

But for next time, my fav is purple rain.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: