loader

Talk

Advanced search

bring nibbles

(24 Posts)
Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 22:40:49

what would you suggest?

Soapbox Fri 23-Feb-07 22:43:02

Could be anything from a packet of crisps or nuts to a platter of figs wrapped in parma ham, drizzled with single estate virgin olive oil

What would you normally get a this person's house?

Heathcliffscathy Fri 23-Feb-07 22:44:16

low maintenance, couple of packs of kettle chips.

middle maintenance: pittas, home made hummous and tzatziki

high maintenance, little brushettas with chopped liver or something delicious and wow on top.

tbh, no friend worth their salt would possibly give a flying, as long as you come with booze too!

Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 22:55:20

well

it is my bachelor brother, who has a girlfriend visiting, he has sophisticated taste and no talent in the kitchen

Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 22:57:16

usually (as in the last 3 times she has visited), she slaved away in the kitchen for everyone - two courses and this time to save her doing anything we are all supposed to bring food

Aloha Fri 23-Feb-07 22:58:01

Go to shop. Buy pre-prepared nibbles. Turn up with smile and good bottle of wine/fizz.

simplycontrolfreaky Fri 23-Feb-07 23:00:43

good olives / salami / something fancy from the deli.

Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 23:01:14

I am looking for inspiration, but thinking of taking a salami, brie, roasted peppers. olives, crusty bread, crisps and wine and maybe some more wine

there will be 4 children 5, 2,2 and 1 plus 8 adults

don't really fancy pizza, was thinking of maybe getting dh to do a small ham?

I bought kettle crisps

simplycontrolfreaky Fri 23-Feb-07 23:02:20

are you bringing the meal or some nibbles?!

hatwoman Fri 23-Feb-07 23:02:54

if it's only nibbles I would take some nice olives, a selection of cured ham and some posh crisps. don;t take anything that involves preparation as you'll end up getting in each others way in the kitchen.

Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 23:03:09

simplecontrolfreak, you are on my wavelength.

Spidermama Fri 23-Feb-07 23:03:37

Nice bread and mozerella and sunblush tomato salad with basil, toasted pine nuts and a nice dressing.

Or nice bread and home made humous.

Or avocado and stilton toasts. Yum. Finger buffet style. Perhaps splash tobasco on top. Or just black pepper if you;'re not keen on spice.

I'm making myself really hungry now.

My brother's also crap in the kitchen and he'd be happy with a tube of Pringles tbh so do whatever you have time and can be bothered to do.

Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 23:05:57

well my brother sent me a text

"bring nibbles"

but my other brother and I were thinking we would just bring the food

it is sunday afternoon, not lunch or evening meal, just being together with snacky, light food?

Aloha Fri 23-Feb-07 23:06:10

Blimey, some of you are very generous!

Wots wrong with peanuts, eh?

Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 23:07:10

mmm spidermama I am now starving
this was maybe not a good time to start a food thread?

Aefondkiss Fri 23-Feb-07 23:08:51

but aloha, she is coming a huge distance for the weekend, we are going to descend on them, and it would be nice to make an effort because the gf always does so for us, it is just a bit vague "bring nibbles"

Aefondkiss Sat 24-Feb-07 11:07:34

any foodies on just now, to inspire?

Heathcliffscathy Sat 24-Feb-07 12:45:03

right, if you have a waitrose/deli near you go buy:

quails eggs (pref, pre peeled ones with celery salt avail in waitrose), some proscuitto of some kind, olives, ciabatta and some mozzarella di bufala that you can tear up with some basil leaves, salt and extra virgin olive oil.

artichoke hearts?

marinated peppers?

simplycontrolfreaky Sat 24-Feb-07 21:41:07

is life really too short to boil a quails egg? thenicest thingabout them is their pretty shells.....

Heathcliffscathy Sun 25-Feb-07 17:14:05

actually, i take it back entirely.

I peeled quails eggs for dh's bday and although they were delicious and cooked a point (even if i say so myself) they took ages to peel (24 took best part of an hour).

CD berated me for peeling them and told me was pointless and I should buy the ready peeled ones.

I have had some today and they are YUCK the outer white bit hard. will NEVER do it again!

peeling is the way to go.

Aefondkiss Sun 25-Feb-07 21:23:29

thanks for the advice, quails eggs are as rare as hens' teeth in this neck of the woods

I am groaning from over eating and drinking, headache, will not need to eat for a few days

MerlinsBeard Sun 25-Feb-07 21:24:46

iread the thread title as bring nip**ples!

Heathcliffscathy Sun 25-Feb-07 21:35:27

oooo what did you do in the end???

Aefondkiss Sun 25-Feb-07 23:21:05

dh did a ham, I roasted veg, we took brie and salami and crisps and so much stuff, we could have fed 20 people between us all, I still feel stuffed

mumofmonsters, I love misreading threads, it always makes me click on stuff

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now