Talk

Advanced search

Cheese,potato and onion pie

(14 Posts)
GizmoFrisby Thu 19-Jan-17 14:47:52

What's the best cheese,potato and onion pie recipe?

TheDropBear Sat 21-Jan-17 08:12:45

Cranks homity pie is my favourite

coxsorangepippin Sat 21-Jan-17 08:18:07

Ooh. Do you mean the school-canteen one which isn't even in pastry, just a glorious golden bake of cheese, mashed potato and onions? I would love to recreate that.

mugglebumthesecond Sat 21-Jan-17 08:21:38

Place marking smile

dementedma Sat 21-Jan-17 08:21:59

Dh makes this. We don't bother with the pastry! It's potatoes mashed with strong cheddar, fried onions,more cheese on top and bunged in the oven. Drool

FannyUmbongo Sat 21-Jan-17 08:23:32

I'd forgotten how much I liked this, thanks for reminding me op

CaptainWarbeck Sat 21-Jan-17 08:28:59

Omg. Someone give us an actual recipe to follow! This sounds amazing.

dementedma Sat 21-Jan-17 08:36:40

There isn't a recipe...It's just mash, onions, cheese,oven till crisp on top.

BikeRunSki Sat 21-Jan-17 08:42:01

Homity pie as others have said, pastry is optional.

ExitPursuedBySpartacus Sat 21-Jan-17 08:43:07

I boil the onions in with the potatoes.

dalmatianmad Sat 21-Jan-17 08:49:57

We have mashed potato, stir in loads of grated cheese, sliced tomato on top and bang it in the oven for half hour.
Served with lovely sausage and baked beans. Sometimes have some fried onions....

GizmoFrisby Sat 21-Jan-17 09:26:44

Like a cheesey potato and onion filling with a pastry base and top. Not sure I recall a school one, I think I recall more of a flan.

Will google homity pie. 👍🏻

GizmoFrisby Sat 21-Jan-17 09:31:55

http://www.lavenderandlovage.com/2013/03/say-cheese-cheese-onion-and-potato-pie-recipe-for-british-pie-week.html/british-pie-week

I'm going to try this grin

SilenceOfThePrams Sat 21-Jan-17 09:32:15

Our regular one -
Peel and boil potatoes, fry onions and garlic in big pan with lots of butter. Drain potatoes, tip into frying pan, mash. Add shedloads of strong cheddar and a pinch of mustard powder.

Spread in casserole dish, if going for the school dinner version, slice a tomato and dot it over the top. Bake until the edges are crispy.

But if you want more of a flan style one, shortcrust pasty, blind bake in a flan dish.

Slice onions into rings, fry. Dice or scallop potatoes (your choice), boil.

Layer onions and potatoes in flan base.

Take half a dozen eggs, milk or cream, and a shedload of cheddar. Mixed herbs too. Whisk all together, pour over the onion and potato.

Bake until set.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now