Talk

Advanced search

What would you serve with Cold Roast Beef ...

(20 Posts)
QPootle Fri 23-Feb-07 20:21:47

Family coming on Sunday. Would love some inspiration. All that's deifinite is cold top/silver side with home made apple pie for pudding, with custard and/or cream?!

itsmeNDaveP Fri 23-Feb-07 20:24:18

a selection of nice breads, salads, chutneys... Ermmmm

sassy Fri 23-Feb-07 20:26:58

Big sandwiches, crusty bread, horseradish sauce.
Crisps. Beer. And pickled onions.
Perfection.

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Fri 23-Feb-07 20:28:16

OOh I am going to Sassy's.
That is perfect.

QPootle Fri 23-Feb-07 20:29:21

Any favourite salads itsme, most of the ones I do have been nicked from my mum anyway and it's her who's coming ...
Absolutely right Sassy pickled onions, horseradish etc a must, with mustard of course!

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Fri 23-Feb-07 20:34:28

I am a Yorkshire lass and it's traditional here to serve Roast Beef hot or cold with a Yorkshire salad:

Lettuce,tomatoes,cucumber,spring onions all chopped fiely and tossed in mint sauce.
Yum.

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Fri 23-Feb-07 20:34:55

chopped finely (sorry)

scatterbrain Fri 23-Feb-07 20:35:30

Chips !!!

QPootle Fri 23-Feb-07 20:50:46

Now that really would make DS happy scatterbrain!

Mrs noah, lovely idea, and soooo traditional. Was frightened you were going to say Yorkshire Pudding. Half the reason we're wussing out of hot Roast beef with yorkshire puds is because we're in a new house, with brand new oven and depsite years of DH's superb Yorkshire puds we've managed to burn the last two attempts and can't face doing that for my mum who's a dragon!

fishie Fri 23-Feb-07 20:54:01

russian(ish) salad is lovely with cold beef - various cooked veg (carrots peas pots green beans) diced with gherkin chopped red onion and thinned down mayo.

Waswondering Fri 23-Feb-07 20:55:16

Small baked potatoes? Minimal preparation but something hot on the plate?

fishie Fri 23-Feb-07 20:56:48

mrs n is that mint sauce as in fresh mint with vinegar and sugar? no oil (in salad not ms)?

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Fri 23-Feb-07 21:17:10

Ermmm, i think it's Colmans jar of mint sauce. I water it down with vinegar to make it go further(that's a Yorkshire tight thing too)
You just lightly toss the salad in it like adressing.

Another one my Mum always does is finely slice 2 halves of a raw onion and serve it in a bowl vinegar with a tiny tiny dash of sugar. I prefer this to pickled onions which always make me squirm.

TeetheCeeofDavedom Fri 23-Feb-07 21:20:32

Roast potatoes and a horseraddish and cremefraiche sauce with cabbage that has been blanched and then cooked with some garlic and oil and maybe a bit of pancetta, oh and yorkshire puds.

Sassy's idea sounds really nice though, and a lot easier.

fishie Fri 23-Feb-07 21:22:49

yes i prefer raw onions in vinegar too, red onions red wine vinegar nicest.

really like the sound of the yorkshire salad, bet it is lovely with spring lamb chops [scribbles in wrinkly notebook].

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Fri 23-Feb-07 21:23:05

Teethecee wow! Love that recipe.
That's reet posh!

QPootle Fri 23-Feb-07 21:30:41

This is great. Love them all but specially like the cabbage and home made onion recipes. Do you mean pickely them or just fresh raw onions into the viegar?>

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Fri 23-Feb-07 21:41:02

Fresh raw onions into the vinegar Qpootle. Easy peasy.

QPootle Fri 23-Feb-07 21:48:19

Thanks MrsN.

TeetheCeeofDavedom Fri 23-Feb-07 22:34:54

Roll up a cabbage a few leaves at a time and cut into thin strips.
Blanch in boiling water for a couple of mins.
Drain well.
Heat olive oil and add about 3 finely chopped garlic cloves.
(if using pancetta add now)
Cook for 2-3 mins then add cabbage and heat through.

Horseraddish sauce -
4 rounded tablespoons hot horseraddish, 2 heaped tablespoons creme fraiche and 4 teaspoons wholegrain mustard, stir together and season.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now