loader

Talk

Advanced search

Basic advice on achievable healthy eating please

(8 Posts)
krisskross Mon 16-Jan-17 16:03:35

Hello everyone
It's just what the title says really.

I think I used to be pretty good at this....but now I'm 6 months pregnant with DC 3, exhausted and none of us are eating great.

I suppose I'd like some sensible and achievable tips on how we can eat well, easily.

I'm realistic.. I love sugary things but would like to eat less of them. I cook from scratch but currently not as much as I did.

And healthy snacks the children and me will enjoy and are easy to take out and about.

I know it's not rocket science but I'm out of ideas and just eat the same old stuff. I have one adventurous great eater and one very conservative eater.

Thank you

SasBel Mon 16-Jan-17 16:06:57

What sort of things will the conservative eater eat? Pasta and rice are staples in my house.

krisskross Mon 16-Jan-17 16:08:47

Yes she's good with pasta and rice...but not keen on sauce mixed in... so lasagne etc out. She'll eat peas , broccoli and peppers as they are but most other veggies are hidden in. (She's 7). She'll eat pulses.

Thanks for replying.

SasBel Mon 16-Jan-17 17:13:46

Hmm, how about a mezze style of eating? I put lots of components of a meal out, my fussy eater then picks what he wants out. E.g pasta can be plain or with sauce (I'm vegetarian so sometimes a choice of 2 sauces) or have bread, dips, salad, rice, meat etc all separately? Bit of a faff at washing up time but easy to put leftovers in the fridge.

Blondie1984 Mon 16-Jan-17 22:06:21

Something that I find really helps is meal planning - it sounds dull but I find when I plan and shop based on the plan I eat better and actually save money

In terms of snacks, things like little boxes of raisins or bags of apricots, oat or rice cakes (either plain or spread with something like peanut butter), Babybel, trail mix .....you could even try making your own Nakd bars and muffins/malt loaf

krisskross Tue 17-Jan-17 17:48:40

Thanks sas and Connie.

Mezze sounds lovely, but tbh my daughter would choose the bits she likes and leave the rest!

Yes to meal planning. I've been so tired I've totally lost the habit of this.

What is trail mix? Can I just buy it ?

Thanks to you both for responding.

Any other basic tips on what we should actually be eating would be great. Thanks.

SasBel Thu 19-Jan-17 12:41:08

Hmm, everything in moderation is my motto, we eat lots of pasta and rice with salad or cooked greens. I am a veggie so cook from scratch, I prepare lots of stuff in advance, and I eat lots of fresh fruit and veg.
Not overly fond of puddings as such, enjoy good chocolate, get lots of exercise the school run and try not to make meal times a chore, even when the fussy one refuses to eat anything except ketchup and bread confused one day he will realise what he is missing grin

lastqueenofscotland Thu 19-Jan-17 12:58:40

What about things like fajitas with wholemeal wraps
Risotto with peas and broadbeans
Pasta with tomato sauce with carrot grated in

Will she eat pulses?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now