Talk

Advanced search

Failsafe vegetarian recipes?

(18 Posts)
Notsleepingeveragain Mon 16-Jan-17 12:11:47

Hi, does anyone have some not too obscure good vegetarian recipes. I have a friend coming to stay who is a vegetarian and who also hates mushrooms. She loves cheese, but I hate cheese. I am happy to make 2 different versions of the same meal (different pie fillings for example). I just keep scrolling through goodfood guide recipes and everything seems too fancy. If you see what I mean.

Dhe will be here 2 nights

TIA

WingMirrorSpider Mon 16-Jan-17 12:14:03

Veggie chilli? I did a Jamie Oliver one which had roasted sweet potato in it. It was really tasty.

PurpleDaisies Mon 16-Jan-17 12:15:04

Maybe your best bet is to look for vegan recipes.

Does she like spice? Curries are easy to make veggie. Same with stir fries.

This pie is a good one that can take lots of fillings...

PurpleDaisies Mon 16-Jan-17 12:17:21

www.bbcgoodfood.com/node/95221/bbcgf_pdf

Forgot the link! Doh.

You could also do fake Nando's with halloumi for her, chicken for you, sweet potato fries, corn on the cob, garlic bread and macho peas (peas mashed with chilli, mint and coriander),

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 16-Jan-17 12:19:45

Sausages and mash. Most supermarket own brand veggie sausages are great, otherwise Linda McCartney does some great ones.

Stir fry, as Purple says. Cook the noodles/rice and the veg, then add ready made marinated tofu pieces and you have recooked chicken pieces or something like that?

Pizza? Either buy them ready made or buy the bases then add your own toppings.

Curries - www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2141649/spinach-and-chickpea-curry This is the easiest one ever. I've had it on the table 10 minutes after starting to chop the onion, it's that fast. Really good. Doesn't freeze well!

Spag bol, with meat mince and veggie mince? Or meat free swedish style meat balls.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 16-Jan-17 12:22:24

www.lindamccartneyfoods.co.uk/our-kitchen/vegetarian-shredded-hoisin-duck-with-sesame-noodles/

This is incredibly quick, easy and yum. My duck loving DH said this is at least as good as the real thing. I'd pop some green veg on the side not time - broccoli or something.

cookiefiend Mon 16-Jan-17 12:23:53

This dal with naan bread is fast simple and delicious. Non veggies always love it. We usually leave out the chilli as the children aren't huge fans of anything too spicy. It has a lovely flavour.

Just buy nice naan bread and some Indian snacks and it is quite a good meal.

cookiefiend Mon 16-Jan-17 12:24:19

Doh link!

PurpleDaisies Mon 16-Jan-17 12:29:20

That's now what I'm having for tea cookie, with paneer if I can find any in the fridge.

LauraMipsum Mon 16-Jan-17 12:33:34

Thai green curry - all you need is Thai green curry paste and coconut milk, then add whatever veg you like. Put some cashews in if you want to fancy it up.

Linda McCartney sausage, mash and onion gravy.

Five-bean chilli with rice / tortillas and sour cream

lastqueenofscotland Mon 16-Jan-17 12:35:28

Fajitas are great cause people can pick their filling

Risotto

Currys

Bean stew

Pasta with sauces

Notsleepingeveragain Mon 16-Jan-17 12:39:41

Thank you so much for your responses guys!! I didn't expect so many.

All of these sound delicious x

Notsleepingeveragain Mon 16-Jan-17 12:40:05

Especially like the idea of fajitas too. X

Hastalapasta Mon 16-Jan-17 12:42:31

Pasta obviously grin rissoto, polenta, cous cous, soup, stews, pies, pasties, salads, warm salads.....enjoy!

PurpleDaisies Mon 16-Jan-17 12:49:50

cookie in what may be some sort of record I have a pot of your dal on the hob right now. It smells fantastic.

AnneLovesGilbert Mon 16-Jan-17 12:58:13

Blimey Purple good work! I'm going to make it later but currently stuck at my desk eyeing up a disappointing sandwich.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 16-Jan-17 13:12:59

Fritata
Roasted med veg puff pastry tart
Stuffed peppers/courgettes (stuff with cous cous or rice with veg, herbs and spices)
Moroccan ragout and cous cous
Beetroot & quinoa tabbouleh
Moroccan-chickpea cakes
Falafels and Pittas
Italian bean casserole

PurpleDaisies Mon 16-Jan-17 13:18:22

I have just eaten one portion of the dal for lunch, boxed up one for the freezer and have the rest in the fridge ready for dinner. It really is delicious. smile

I found it didn't need the extra ten minutes after the spinach goes in because the lentils were already soft.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now