Talk

Advanced search

Slow cooker divider/separator

(8 Posts)
Paffle Fri 13-Jan-17 22:44:51

I have a large slow cooker (MR sear and stew). It also generally cooks a bit faster than most recipes suggest. Since I'm often just cooking for two, I find the liquid often barely comes up to a centimetre or so in the slow cooker so it reduces really quickly. I don't always want to make double or triple batches that would really fill up the slow cooker.

I have a deep cake tin. I was thinking of using it as a cooker within a cooker IYSWIM. So I fill the cake tin with the ingredients, including the recipe liquid. Then I put it in the slow cooker and add water to the slow cooker so it surrounds the cake tin. Do you think that would work? Does anyone know if there is a gadget on the market that achieves this in a less Gerry-rigged way?

TIA

RNBrie Fri 13-Jan-17 22:46:30

Following with interest, I have the same slow cooker. I love the searing thing but it doesn't appear to be a very good slow cooker. Even doing a large batch seems to dry out and over cook.

Paffle Sat 14-Jan-17 07:31:50

Bumping for morning traffic.

picklemepopcorn Sat 14-Jan-17 08:04:44

You can cook in a pot within a pot. I got a divided slow cooker pan from aldi and do two meals at once. You can do jacket potatoes/rice on one side and stew/curry in the other for example. I did casserole in one side and curry in the other to batch cook for my parents and the only problem was having to scoop the last bits out- can't pour as the two would mix.

rubytuesday21 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:18:24

This might work:
www.morphyrichards.co.uk/spares-and-accessories/slow-cooker-spares/cooking-pots/09031.html

goes to check if own slow cooker is MR

rubytuesday21 Sat 14-Jan-17 16:30:34

I wonder if you could use foil containers, like take way ones, you'd be able to squish them into the right shape, and could use them after to go straight in the freezer!
Is there any reason you couldn't do this?

rubytuesday21 Sat 14-Jan-17 17:36:44

After doing some googling around, it seems foil containers would not be a good idea. Apparently if you cook anything with a lot of acid in it, like tomato sauce, the acid can leach aluminium molecules from the foil into your food...

Paffle Sun 15-Jan-17 11:59:27

Thanks ruby I saw that partition pot too. It's designed to go with a special MR cooker. Debating whether to go for it and risk it not fitting inside my SC. Or is it easier to just buy a small SC. There are many that aren't much more expensive than that MR insert.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now