Talk

Advanced search

cake decorating/sugar paste question

(6 Posts)
elibumbum Thu 22-Feb-07 20:10:33

DS has his first birthday coming up and I am going to be brave and decorate his cake myself. I can make cakes but have never used sugar paste to decorate them before! I'm very confused about colour pastes. Can you mix them into ready made icing? If I bought some ready mixed coloured sugar paste icing could I make it lighter by mixing it with ready made white sugar paste?

LIZS Thu 22-Feb-07 20:13:12

You can colour the white stuff - the paste colourings work better than the liquids - but it takes some working to get it even. Online you can order all sorts of shades whereas the supermarkets are more limited.

elibumbum Thu 22-Feb-07 20:17:22

Could I chuck it in the kitchen aid with the dough hook to mix it in?

LIZS Thu 22-Feb-07 20:30:29

Think it would go too sticky so be impossible to roll out again.

elibumbum Thu 22-Feb-07 20:44:54

Thanks LIZS. Think I will stick to the ready mixed colours. Although I need a little bit of grey so I'll have to colour that myself - guess I should just use a tiny bit of black colour paste and work it in to some white ready made stuff? Do you just knead it in?

LIZS Thu 22-Feb-07 20:46:37

yes that's how I do it. I also put it inside a freezer bag to stop it staining my fingers , at least until it is at the stage to just keep rolling it to blend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now