Talk

Advanced search

Tinned cherries-inspiration needed!!

(9 Posts)
canihaveacoffeeplease Thu 12-Jan-17 15:22:36

On my post Christmas cupboard clear out I have found 2 tins of pitted black cherries in syrup-no idea how they got there, not the kind of thing I'd usually buy, but equally can't imagine DH bought them either so must've been me!

Need inspiration for yummy ways to use them up. So far all I can think of is cherry pie, cherry crumble, sherry cherry trifle or Black Forest gateau....

Any ideas much appreciated!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Thu 12-Jan-17 15:26:38

black forest trifle... drain the juice and thicken it with arrowroot or cornflour

then choc cake, amaretti/savoiardi/lady fingers, soak that with the alcohol of your choice
layer of cherries
thickened juice
chocolate custard...make from scratch or melt 100g plainchoc into bought
cream on top!

YUM!!!!

SilentBob Thu 12-Jan-17 15:29:15

Black Forest cheesecake
Cherry frangipani/clafoutis
Duck with cherry sauce <retro>

JontyDoggle37 Thu 12-Jan-17 15:39:47

Just heat the cherries and their syrup v gently in a saucepan then ladle out over the top of some nice vanilla ice cream - heavenly and zero fuss!

Allalonenow Thu 12-Jan-17 15:45:37

Wonderful with plain yoghurt and a blob of sour cream, and almond biscuits if you have some, quick and no fuss.

Cherylene Thu 12-Jan-17 15:51:02

Clafoutis

Hugh FW does a nice one that is not unnecessarily laced with cream. You could soak the cherries in a bit of kirsch/brandy though wink
www.cooked.com/uk/Hugh-Fearnley-Whittingstall/Bloomsbury-Publishing-Plc/River-Cottage-Every-Day/The-whole-fruit/Cherry-clafoutis-recipe

AGBforever Thu 12-Jan-17 21:47:21

Upside down sponge cake?

RamblinRosie Sat 14-Jan-17 22:17:21

Drain them and make duck with cherry sauce, use the draining to flavour a pavlova.

bruffin Sat 14-Jan-17 22:22:54

i made a black forestctrifle at christmas. layers of brownies,cherries,chocolate custard then whipped cream with cremefraiche

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now