Talk

Advanced search

ok I have one chicken carcas how do I make stock?

(14 Posts)
Bananaknickers Thu 22-Feb-07 18:38:32

have not got a clue
HELP this undomestic slut

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 18:41:18

cover with water, add celery, seasoning, an onion, carrots......simmer and skim icky stuff off the top as neccesary....reduce down until tastes like you want it to....

bossykate Thu 22-Feb-07 18:41:22

strip all remaining meat from carcase. put in large pot and cover with water. add a little salt, a quartered onion, a quartered carrot, a celery stick, and some black peppercorns. a bouquet garni is nice too if you have one. bring to the boil and then simmer for oh an hour. strain liquid through a muslin, allow to cool and use/freeze.

Lullabyloo Thu 22-Feb-07 18:44:39

ok honey...
Break up the carcass a bit,put in a large cooking pot with two carrots,1 onion,2 celery sticks,1 leek,a few parsley stalks,6 peppercorns.
Cover with cold water & bring to the boil,skimming the surface to remove scum.Simmer gently with lid on for about 2 hrs.
Strain,cool & remove fat from surface.
Voila!

ScottishThistle Thu 22-Feb-07 18:44:44

I fry a chopped onion with some rosemary then put the chicken carcass in with boiling water & a couple of chopped carrots.

I'm sure some domestic goddess can give you a better recipe however!

Kelly1978 Thu 22-Feb-07 18:48:13

I love cooking but have never made stock, I really must try it.

Once you've made it, how long does it keep for? I suppose if you freeze it you can't then refreeze it in soup or whatever?

mateychops Thu 22-Feb-07 18:49:44

Scottish Thistle, I would agree with you, but you can chuck in any veg around - onion and celery being particularly good. Bring it to the boil, lift the scum off the top, then simmer for a couple of hours.

mateychops Thu 22-Feb-07 18:50:47

If you're not going to use it over the next 24 hours, I would freeze in batches. You could get really dodgy tummies with heating and re-heating.

Bananaknickers Thu 22-Feb-07 20:07:25

thanks girls I have it on the boil now. I have no idea what I am going to use it for though. What do you all do with yours. Smells great

Lullabyloo Thu 22-Feb-07 20:44:58

As a base for gorgeous soups or risotto's

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 20:46:26

i strain it, skim it, add a bit of powdered chicken stock and add small pasta shapes and have it as soup!

ScottishThistle Thu 22-Feb-07 20:46:43

I freeze mine in ice cube trays & use for delicious risotto!

Bananaknickers Thu 22-Feb-07 21:45:46

can you tell me how to make the risoto please Scottishthistle. the soup sounds great too

ScottishThistle Thu 22-Feb-07 21:55:48

Basic risotto:

Fry a finely chopped onion/clove garlic in butter for several minutes...then add risotto & stir to coat all grains with oil (it'll make a popping noise) when it calms down add enough hot stock to cover (at this point add chosen ingredients) & simmer gently...stir continuosly, keep adding stock when stock dries up...Normal cooking time 20mins...add a knob of butter & parmesan to serve.

You can add courgettes, peas, mushrooms, prawns, carrots...oh & so much more!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now