Talk

Advanced search

Quick to make lunches on mat leave

(17 Posts)
MollyWho Wed 11-Jan-17 15:21:03

Does anyone have any ideas for quick and easy to make lunches. Ideally they'll be hot and filling but not soup. It doesn't even need to be particularly healthy but maybe I should stay clear of having fish and chips everyday.
I'm due DC2 any day now and remember never getting chance to make lunch once hubby went back to work after DC1 and I ended up buying crap like pot noodles and cuppa soups which weren't filling or particularly nice.
I've done lots of batch cooking for evening meals so I know I'll get at least 1 nice meal but that's also left not much room in the freezer.
Thanks x

Blondie1984 Wed 11-Jan-17 16:10:06

Scrambled eggs and/or beans on toast
Baked potato done in the microwave with tuna mayo, cheese, beans etc

MollyWho Wed 11-Jan-17 16:33:47

I'm gonna horrify you, we don't have a microwave - no space.
Jackets in the oven take might work though since once they're in they can just be left and don't spoil too easily.

Ta!

JaxingJump Wed 11-Jan-17 16:38:05

Put a sheet of noodles in a pot of boiling water with half a beef stick cube. In a bowl put a big spoon of honey, a glug of soy sauce, knob of garlic paste, dash of chilli oil, dash of sesame oil and good splash of lemon juice. Put noodles and beef broth in on top when cooked. Deeeelicious. I often chop into the noodles when half done scallions and mange tout peas or broccoli. Whatever is in the fridge. But this lunch is very quick and really tasty.

KanyesVest Wed 11-Jan-17 16:40:34

Good cheddar on nice brown soda bread with mustard or chutney. Bagel with nice fillings.

JaxingJump Wed 11-Jan-17 16:45:05

I also keep pastrami, cheese, Dijon mustard and big sliced sweet pickles in the fridge for a quick pastrami toasti.

JaxingJump Wed 11-Jan-17 16:46:00

And usually have Camembert, onion marmalade and prochitto in the fridge for my other favourite toasti.

All are cheap in Tesco or Lidl.

JaxingJump Wed 11-Jan-17 16:46:27

Bacon bagels! Yum!

JaxingJump Wed 11-Jan-17 16:47:02

I do a lot if salads, with avocado, egg, bacon, etc. Whatever's in the fridge.

ifigoup Wed 11-Jan-17 16:48:13

Filled pasta, like tortellini.
Omelette in a wrap.

monniemae Wed 11-Jan-17 16:48:17

Make up a pesto out of various things - 1 of each - raw greens (kale/spinach/rocket/peas/herbs) + toasted nuts (hazelnuts/pine nuts / walnuts / any) + handful of Parmesan style cheese, squeeze of lemon, some garlic, olive oil - blitz, season and it keeps in fridge for a month. I had it with pasta for lunches in the early days; toddler would also eat it with creme fraiche stirred in

WhamBamThankyouGeorge Wed 11-Jan-17 16:52:08

Falafel,
Fresh pasta,
Boiled egg and soldiers
Cheeses and pates and anything else you had to avoid whilst pregnant!!
Soup (though not great if holding newborn!)
Leftovers!

ScrambledSmegs Wed 11-Jan-17 16:52:18

The River Cottage site has some recipes for homemade pot noodles, with lots of fresh veg. They're really easy to put together and you can put whatever you've got in the fridge in them.

Also [[ www.telegraph.co.uk/food-and-drink/recipes/jar-salad-recipes-for-on-the-go-lunches/jar salads]] are a good idea, you can make them ahead and store in the fridge. Not hot but still filling and tasty.

ScrambledSmegs Wed 11-Jan-17 16:52:51

Sorry, mucked up the second link. Jar salads

MollyWho Wed 11-Jan-17 16:57:00

Wow, loads of good ideas, thank you. You're all so much more imaginative than me!

foodiemama26 Wed 11-Jan-17 21:47:05

You could buy some toastie bags to use straight in the toaster to mean less faff and cleaning. I ate alot of bagels with various fillings while I was off because they are still nice even if they've gone cold. Scrambled eggs with sliced ham and spinach is also yum! Wish I'd thought of tortellini while I was on mat leave.

Spottyladybird Wed 11-Jan-17 22:58:03

My DC2 is 7 weeks. I think it's a bit different as you have to feed DC1 so you're better at eating healthily.
I've had:
Gnocchi
Pitts bread toasted with humous
Wraps with fillings
Crumpets
Eggs
Roasted veg (leftover from tea) with couscous.
Leftovers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now