Talk

Advanced search

how do I make yummy salmon fishcakes?

(7 Posts)
MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Thu 22-Feb-07 13:41:11

Never made fishcakes since leaving school.
Oh the shame

I have 2 tins of salmon.

crumbs Thu 22-Feb-07 13:50:14

I think the Nigella recipe is 50/50 tinned salmon to mash, and nothing more (seasoning though), rolled in Matzo flour/crumbs and fried til browned, then warned through in a low oven for 1/2 hour.

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Thu 22-Feb-07 13:58:53

Thank you.
Thought I would need egg yolk somewhere. No?

crumbs Thu 22-Feb-07 17:45:37

Sorry - just back. I don't use egg when I make them. Haven't checked the official recipe though ... hang on...

crumbs Thu 22-Feb-07 17:51:11

You're quite right, she uses one egg for 350-500g buttered mash and 418g salmon, plus some cayenne and lemon zest. Form cakes, chill for 20 mins then coat by dipping in more egg (2, beaten) then matzo meal. Fry, she doesn't mention the oven at all, don't know where I got that from but it's what I do, esp. if cooking from frozen if I've made a big batch and frozen half.

I haven't added egg into mix, but do use them for coating.

Hope they work out OK.

Sugarmagnolia Fri 23-Feb-07 12:23:50

I mix the tinned salmon with mash potato, grated carrot, egg and breadcrumbs or matzoh meal then bake for 20 minutes. You can freeze them once cooked and reheat as needed. Very very easy!

MrsNoahshensgotgobbled Fri 23-Feb-07 19:07:20

Big success!!
I ended up with mashed potato, tinned salmon, chopped up hard egg, lemon juice and some gerkins.
Did as you said and dipped them in egg then breadcrumbs and they were yum, even the kids ate them!

Thank you

Will be making more to freeze now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now