Talk

Advanced search

American cup measures??

(49 Posts)
lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 12:10:43

Recipe asking for cup of butter...is that 120 g???

breadgirl Thu 22-Feb-07 12:16:29

about 225g i think

MegaLegs Thu 22-Feb-07 12:17:06

says 225g here scroll down for butter

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 12:21:26

thank you xxx

MegaLegs Thu 22-Feb-07 12:24:09

What are you baking?

lulumama Thu 22-Feb-07 12:49:52

butter cookies

disastrously

needed a lot more flour than the recipe said and there is cookie dough everywhere !

need a simpler recipe!

mind you, this one was very simple maybe it is me....

USAUKMum Thu 22-Feb-07 13:02:56

butter in the US comes in sticks and 1 stick of butter is 100g. A cup of butter is 225g.

I offer up my mother's butter cookies recipe if you'd like.

Lucycat Thu 22-Feb-07 13:29:57

This is a good recipe They are my standard biscuits that I make with the dd's - very yummy - in fact the whole website is very good.

AitchTwoOh Thu 22-Feb-07 13:31:26

the thing about cups is that they keep everything in proportion, so really the measurements shouldn't matter so long as you're using the same cup for everything. i think it's a great system, myself.

Lucycat Thu 22-Feb-07 13:31:26

mm need to check my links

Go to Biscuits and Cookies, then Easy Biscuits.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 22-Feb-07 13:35:06

No, I prefer doing things by weight. You get fewer things dirty that way! I keep meaning to go through all my regular US recipes and change everything to grams. (Particularly butter! How on earth do you get a cup of butter!)

And yeah, all the cups being the same is great, but as American recipes don't use SR flour, there's always some teaspoons or tablespoons of raising agent to muck things up.

AitchTwoOh Thu 22-Feb-07 13:48:50

i suppose my cuppy recipes tend to call for melted butter, so i jut whack some into the doidy cup i use (finally delighted to have found some use for the blasted thing) and stick it in the microwave. if it doesn't come up to the bottom rim then you can add a blob of butter that will simultaneously cool the melted butter and bring it up to weight.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 22-Feb-07 14:05:07

I tend to nuke mine on a plate. (I'm generally good with the microwave, but not with plastic things, generally.) I think I will weigh it from now on.

AitchTwoOh Thu 22-Feb-07 14:10:21

well, the good thing about butter is that it comes marked so tbh you don't have to weigh it, just cut the slice to the nearest 50g.

USAUKMum Thu 22-Feb-07 14:11:08

butter in cups is messy, but on the packaging on the sticks of butter there are lines which say 1/4 cup, 1/2 cup etc and you just cut off what you need. So not messy at all.

The DC find it a bit easier as well, i set down the cup and they fill it with flour or whatever, then whack it into the bowl.

Though now I have a set of electronic scales to do kg & lbs and my US cups & tbls & tsp. So I'm pretty much prepared for any recipe

NotQuiteCockney Thu 22-Feb-07 14:40:43

Yeah, the lines are very helpful. Only they don't seem to be on the British butter I have ...

Kelly1978 Thu 22-Feb-07 14:51:58

Cups are annoying! I have to translate it all into weight. I have no idea of the volumn of an american 'cup' and it's all very well about the relativity, but that's no good when you have other ingredients in addition that aren't measured in cups, such as spices or eggs.

Kelly1978 Thu 22-Feb-07 14:52:18

british butter has weight lines - now that is handy!

USAUKMum Thu 22-Feb-07 14:58:08

The butter I was talking about was American. I use a conversion chart I got in the back of a Waitrose mag for when I give out my American recipes to Brits. It is along the lines of the link Megalegs had.

If I buy a block of butter here in the UK it is easy to cut off the 225g needed for a cup in my American recipes.

breadgirl Thu 22-Feb-07 15:11:44

i'm pretty sure i saw a set of
measuring cups in Tesco .. or there are these \link{http://www.johnlewis.com/Kitchen/Cookware/Cookware/Baking+Accessories/855/230398181/Product.aspx\nigellaones

breadgirl Thu 22-Feb-07 15:12:56

nigellaones
oops didn't finish the link .. hope this one works

AitchTwoOh Thu 22-Feb-07 15:22:49

i got the nigella ones for my christmas a few years ago, they chip really easily so do not buy if you've got a stone or tiled floor.

AitchTwoOh Thu 22-Feb-07 15:23:16

please note that i use a doidy cup...

Kelly1978 Thu 22-Feb-07 15:46:29

I wouldn't pay for the nigella ones, no room round here to display them, but I found this on amazon, I might invest in these, as I have a couple of books I want to order from there, and one is an american bakery recipe book.

NotQuiteCockney Thu 22-Feb-07 15:49:30

Kelly, if you like American style baking, you can find bazillions of lovely recipes (with reader reviews!) on here . Almost all my baking recipes are from there.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: