Talk

Advanced search

What to do with Tofu?

(17 Posts)
cori Thu 22-Feb-07 12:05:06

I bought some smoked tofu whilst on a vegetarian kick, but dont really know what to do with it. I also have aubergine and courgettes to use up. Any ideas?

TeetheCeeofDavedom Thu 22-Feb-07 12:06:55

Put it int he bin and bung the aubergine and courgette int he oven drizzled with some olive oila nd serve with some feta cheese!

Cappuccino Thu 22-Feb-07 12:07:36

I was just going to say 'throw it in the bin' myself

TeetheCeeofDavedom Thu 22-Feb-07 12:08:29

Or maybe use it as a draft excluder?

motherinferior Thu 22-Feb-07 12:08:41

So was I.

motherinferior Thu 22-Feb-07 12:09:03

It's probably quite bouncy for throwing at the wall, should you be feeling fed up.

bundle Thu 22-Feb-07 12:09:18

walk away from the tofu....just walk away

DizzyDave Thu 22-Feb-07 12:11:22

cavity wall insulation? yak..it really is like polystyrene. i've had it at wagamamas and even they can't make me like it.

courgettes delicious though. fry in olive oil, serve as any other veg. or add to lasagne/ pasta sauce. i love courgette.

aubergine not too keen on. maybe moussaka?

ScoobyC Thu 22-Feb-07 12:14:11

I found a tofu recipe in a veggie baby book which sounds gross but is actually nice and my baby likes it, might even be nicer with smoked tofu. Can't remember the specific details but basically involves cooking parsnips, pureeing them and then mixing the crumbled tofu in with a little orange juice and milk/cooking juice. You've then got a puree full of calcium (parsnips) and iron etc from the tofu. For adults rather than babies I guess this could be a mash as an accompaniment to something else.

mytwocents Thu 22-Feb-07 12:15:54

DP does this to make me eat it : Heat frying pan v hot with generous amount of sesame oil, add tofu, add soy sauce and pepper, fry till brown. The little bits go crunchy , yum, we've had veggie freinds question whether it's chicken!
I was converted. Can also try balsamic vinegar intead of soy then add to salads......
If not cooked is better for you but bit like snot no?

Brangelina Thu 22-Feb-07 12:17:59

Smoked tofu is pretty much ready to eat, so it doesn't really need anything doing to it, but if you want some suggestions, try one of these:
Slice it and eat it in sandwiches with chargrilled slices of aubergine and courgette, all drizzled with olive oil. Or cube it and eat it in a rice or pasta salad. Or make vegetarian kedgeree, substituting the tofu for the smoked fish part. Or mash it with potatoes, dijon mustard and parsley, shape into croquettes and pan fry.

As for the aubergines and courgettes, make a ratatouille. Just chop and fry with onion and garlic, add tomatoes, add origano or herbes de Provence and a generous splash of red wine (optional) and let it simmer over a low flame until eveything is nice and soft. Season and serve. Great with pasta or rice, or simply cunks of crusty bread with melted cheese. Yum.

HTH

divamumplus Thu 22-Feb-07 12:20:01

fried tofu is nice, also you can dip them in egg and fry, yum yum
also put hem in noodles soup, last minute and boil once and ready to eat.

cori Thu 22-Feb-07 12:22:15

I have quite liked tofu when i have had it at chinese. Will try your suggestion Mytwocents.

Brangelina Thu 22-Feb-07 12:23:13

Scooby, I tried that recipe and it's foul, my baby ate it once but never managed to get it down her again, so I "had to" finish it off and it wasn't nice. And I'm a tofu lover (those who say to use it as a draught excluder don't know how to cook it ). It's from the Sara Lewis book, right? Strange about that, all her other recipes were fab.

KathyMCMLXXII Thu 22-Feb-07 12:25:31

Oh I love tofu, and it goes brilliantly with aubergine and courgette.
Agree with Mytwocents.
Stir fried is nice (eat while feeling virtuous) but deep fried is even nicer.

FrannyandZooey Thu 22-Feb-07 12:27:57

I personally don't like the smoked sort, but what I usually do with tofu is marinate it (soy sauce, sesame oil , brown sugar and lemon juice is good) and then grill it in cubes or slices until brown and firm / slightly crispy on the outside, and soft in the middle. This goes well with a stir fry. It's great on veg kebabs with mushrooms, peppers and courgettes threaded onto a skewer and grilled.

A recipe that might work well with the smokiness, is to cut it in long flat slices, dip in lemon juice, sprinkle with salt and pepper and then dip in flour, and gently shallow fry on each side. It has a lovely texture and goes well with chips and mushy peas, or new potatoes, steamed veg etc

dejags Thu 22-Feb-07 12:28:25

Bin it.

Awful stuff.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: