Talk

Advanced search

What can I give my 2 yr old who refuses to eat breakfast?

(82 Posts)
Mummypumpkin Thu 22-Feb-07 10:15:39

Ds2 is driving me mad! He refuses to eat anything I give him for breakfast without a huge struggle. I'm fed up of fighting over it. I've tried every cereal imaginable and I've even tried various fruit and cereal bars. He usually has toast at lunch so I don't want to give him that for his breakfast as well. He doesn't like much fruit apart from grapes... should I just give him cereal and let him go hungry if he refuses? I would do this for Ds1 but Ds2 is only 27 months and I don't know if he's too young.

BandofMothers Thu 22-Feb-07 10:17:23

Do you mean 27 months or weeks?
Give him toast for b'fast and something else for lunch, like a sandwich?

MrsBadger Thu 22-Feb-07 10:17:23

porridge?
eggs?
baked beans?
muesli (the kind where you soak the oats in milk overnight)?
give him toast for breakfast and cereal for lunch?

Mummypumpkin Thu 22-Feb-07 10:21:26

I mean 27 months like I said - he's 2. He doesn't like sandwiches which is why he has toast for his lunch. He is a real pain at lunchtimes too but if I give him toast he'll eat it. He will not eat any type of cereal - not porridge or muesli or even chocolatey crap.

Cashncarry Thu 22-Feb-07 10:22:14

I have this problem with DD (also 2 yrs old). I would LOVE to give her cereal or porridge or something equally wholesome but she absolutely refuses to touch it.

I do give her toast but recently have been trying different things like croissants, danish pastries, waffles etc. I'm probably going to get lambasted for not giving her a nutritious breakfast but I do give her fruit and yogurt as a mid-morning snack so it's not that bad, honest!!

Mummypumpkin Thu 22-Feb-07 10:22:31

In fact, I'm not even sure that if I gave him toast at breakfast he'd eat it. I might just starve him instead and see what happens.

MrsBadger Thu 22-Feb-07 10:23:10

more exciting types of bread product? bagels? English muffins? pitta stuffed with stuff? potato scones?

Mummypumpkin Thu 22-Feb-07 10:25:53

But if he doesn't eat should I just take it away and let him starve til lunch?

scotlou Thu 22-Feb-07 10:26:03

My ds is 7 and has never eaten a "proper" breakfast. I used to beat myself up about it - but now I don't worry. When he was younger, he would enjoy stuff like bread and cheese, or a salami sandwich - but probably not as sopon as he got up - maybe later (around 10 o'clock). Now he's at school he'll eat a SMALL piece of fruit before school - and does without anything else until school dinners! At weekends he would rather eat a brunch than breakfast. I think all kids are different!

MrsBadger Thu 22-Feb-07 10:27:45

maybe yoghurt?

does he eat midmorning?

Davenid Thu 22-Feb-07 10:28:49

toast

if he refuses give him a mid morning snack (I give this anyway if my kids are around)

DinosChapman Thu 22-Feb-07 10:29:24

I agree with Davenid.

Cashncarry Thu 22-Feb-07 10:29:55

Your DS sounds just as fussy as my DD! It's awful, isn't it?

Maybe it's more to do with timings: what time is he waking up? Are you allowing him half an hour or so to work up an appetite? Maybe a quick walk round the block or 10 minutes in the garden first - the fresh air might stimulate his appetite.

TBH, DD is getting slightly better. I used to have a terrible time with her and brekkie - I held off 'til 10.30am most days to try to make her hungry enough to eat!

Also, what type of foods does he like? You cooked try giving him more of a cooked breakfast - scrambled egg, sausage, grilled tomatoes etc. with toast/muffins/whatever carbs on the side? My DD loves this and definitely eats more - I don't do it every day though - too much like hard work!

BandofMothers Thu 22-Feb-07 10:31:15

What time do you feed him b'fast?
Perhaps he's not hungry. Could you wait til he asks for it.
Tricky when they wont eat. B'fast fine for dd1 (3) but often wont eat her dinner. I take it and she get's nothing else.
Perhaps that's why she loves b'fast??
It wont hurt him, he'll eat when he gets hungry.

Lullabyloo Thu 22-Feb-07 10:36:56

a smoothie?
boiled egg & soldiers
eggy bread
yoghurt & honey with fruit chunks to dip

Mummypumpkin Thu 22-Feb-07 10:37:27

He wakes about 7am and breakfast time is 7.30am. Tbh I don't have the time or the money to cook for him in the morning, cooked breakfast is a big treat in our house! Besides, he only eats the bacon! I can't leave breakfast time any later as we have to leave the house at 8.45am. He does have a snack mid-morning - depending on where we are - so i guess if he doesn't eat his breakfast he's not going to fade away. He is very fussy and there is only a limited number of things he will eat but breakfast seems to be the worst meal of all with him not liking anything. (Except bacon which I'm not going to be cooking for him every day!) I might try the toast/different bread products and then eat it myself if he doesn't want it.

morningpaper Thu 22-Feb-07 10:38:27

Some people aren't hungry at breakfast

Let him play for an hour first instead of sitting him at the table

Mummypumpkin Thu 22-Feb-07 10:39:41

Hates smoothies, hates eggs, throws eggy bread at me when I try that one!
I love breakfast - I'm ravenous in the morning and don't understand these people who don't eat breakfast!

morningpaper Thu 22-Feb-07 10:39:47

Where does he go?

My nursery gives them breakfast if they arrive before 9am

Also they get a mid-morning snack

Lullabyloo Thu 22-Feb-07 10:40:16

ds wont eat brekkie till 9.00am
heaven help us when he starts nursery

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MrsGoranVisnjic Thu 22-Feb-07 10:40:48

my kids aren't big on breakfast .. I wouldn't fight him .. just give him something to eat an hour afterwards .. some people just aren't hungry straight away

Davenid Thu 22-Feb-07 10:40:55

you have to leave the house at 8.45? can he not get up at 7 then eat at 8?

Mummypumpkin Thu 22-Feb-07 10:42:23

Won't eat bananas either - only grapes!
We go to school at 8.45. Then it depends on the day, one day we come home, 2 days we go to playgroup, one day he goes to my mum, one day he goes to a childminder.

morningpaper Thu 22-Feb-07 10:43:03

Where exactly are you off to at 8.45 for the morning?

Can't you just stick sndwiches in the buggy for when he is hungry? Or a handful of cornflakes or some cold toast?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now