Talk

Advanced search

Tinned crab

(15 Posts)
puffinpants Sun 08-Jan-17 14:09:02

I bought a tin of crab meat on a whim and now wondering what to do with it- what's the best way to use tinned crab?

Having a quick flick through my books I haven't seen a recipe which calls for tinned - can I just substitute?

Or, any good recipes for tinned crab out there?

Was wondering about crab cakes for the baby...

Thinkingblonde Sun 08-Jan-17 14:13:57

I find it tastes nothing like crab, bland and uninspiring. You could drain it and mix with mashed potato and make fish cakes with it.

Blondie1984 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:50:12

Mix it with mayonnaise or mashed avocado and have in a sandwich or on a baked potato

Stir through pasta with olive oil, chilli, garlic, spring onion and lime juice

In an omelette with spring or red onions

user1478860582 Sun 08-Jan-17 16:53:43

Feed to the cat.....?

KittenDixon Tue 10-Jan-17 02:22:56

I had the same issue over Xmas. Flattened out 4 chicken breasts til they were quite thin, put some crab in the middle and rolled it up into a parcel. Then wrapped parcel in bacon, browned them in a pan before baking in an oven. Left to cool then sliced it was really nice with a salad no bbaby baked potatoes.

Might do it again sometime, but with Parma ham rather than bacon, will pound the chicken thinnner aim for a roulade rather than a parcel.

IHaveBrilloHair Tue 10-Jan-17 16:57:42

I like it in fried rice

goldangel Tue 10-Jan-17 16:58:15

I use it when I make a seafood linguine.

NeedATrim Tue 10-Jan-17 17:07:33

Delia crab and sweetcorn soup. I've made it. Yummy

puffinpants Tue 10-Jan-17 18:21:00

No cat!

Fried rice might be an idea - I love Thai fried rice with crab so might well try that. Also like the sound of many of the other suggestions. I'm always on the look out for cupboard food that good for when meal planning fails or I forget to take something out of the freezer etc so I guess that's what motivated me to buy it - now just need to try out some ideas! Thanks all

sonlypuppyfat Tue 10-Jan-17 18:22:55

DH makes the best crab sandwiches lots of vinegar and pepper, bloody lovely

HelenDenver Tue 10-Jan-17 18:22:55

Crab and chilli on pasta? Don't have a recipe but try google.

Bubblysqueak Tue 10-Jan-17 18:23:19

Van make some really nice crab cakes with them. Add an egg some breadcrumbs and a tsp on dijon mustard and shape into crab cakes refrigerate for 10/15 min then pan fry.

Cookingongas Tue 10-Jan-17 19:15:36

I make slow cooker crab gumbo like this
www.aol.co.uk/living/food/crab-gumbo/2911/
But without brown meat.

987flowers Tue 10-Jan-17 20:28:28

I use it for crab and chilli pasta. Red onion, sliced garlic, chilli. Soften then add the crab at the end and some lemon juice and parsley. Mix through linguine. Lovely!

Disraeli Thu 12-Jan-17 11:43:19

I like chilli crab pasta. Cook the crab with red onion, cherry tomatoes, chilli flakes and lemon juice, add to cooked pasta. I add loads of parmesan too, and black pepper.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now