Talk

Advanced search

What starters go with a steak?

(18 Posts)
Hatade16 Sat 07-Jan-17 17:29:26

Having two friends over for a dinner party next week. We're having steak for main, and white chocolate and ginger cheesecake for pudding, but no idea for starter! Help!

FluffyAnimalsRule Sat 07-Jan-17 18:35:51

smoked trout pate or smoked salmon pate (made with hot smoked trout or hot smoked salmon) with lots of buttered baguette slices.

or twice baked cheese souffle.

both go down well here

BewitchedBotheredandBewildered Sat 07-Jan-17 18:55:38

Oysters, with chopped shallots in red wine vinegar and tabasco.

I'd want something light before the solidity of a steak and the richness of a cheesecake.

BoardwalkSoul Sat 07-Jan-17 19:16:17

Stuffed mushrooms would be lovely.

SallyGinnamon Sat 07-Jan-17 19:20:00

Surely prawn cocktail for a retro vibe.

AndNoneForGretchenWieners Sat 07-Jan-17 19:21:50

Tomato and mozzarella salad
Mini baked camembert
Prawn cocktail

TheTartOfAsgard Sat 07-Jan-17 19:23:38

Goats cheese and onion tart

OhTheRoses Sat 07-Jan-17 19:26:03

I usually do smoked salmon drizzled with zizzed capers, lime, garlic clove, parsley and olive oil with a little fan of avocado and rye bread.

What are you serving with your steak - I'd keep it quite light with three courses including cheesecake for pud.

Might also consider fresh beetroot, roasted with some cocktail onions and creamed mackerel with horseradish - again with rye bread.

But I just made up the last one. Or just plain smoked salmon with lemon and black pepper.

Otherwise I'd do the steak with a dauphinoise, mushrooms with a dab of red wine, garlic and parsley, accompanied with spinach or rocket and ribboned courgettes.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 07-Jan-17 19:27:05

Garlic mushrooms or paté of some kind

OhTheRoses Sat 07-Jan-17 19:27:15

Meant to add, and just do two courses.

EthelEgbert Sat 07-Jan-17 19:27:57

Sounds yum.

Delia's hot and sour prawns with bread and butter

The trout or salmon pates sound perfect too. And I like the prawn cocktail too.

Yum!

foodiefil Sat 07-Jan-17 19:28:33

Having steak tonight and having this as a starter but using the vacuum packs of beetroot you can get

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/711660/marinated-beetroot-with-grilled-goats-cheese

Hope it will be light and tasty ahead of the steak.

Wear gloves to slice the beet or use a mandoline as I have

Balloondog Sat 07-Jan-17 19:31:19

I would do a light soup such as tomato or pea - lovely this time of year when you come in from the cold - and has the added advantage that you can prepare it ahead of time. If you prefer something cold, you could do worse than the French and have a simple fresh green salad. Bon apetit whatever you decide!

EthelEgbert Sat 07-Jan-17 19:35:14

foodiefil that looks delicious but would you want goat's cheese starter then cheesecake? Seems quite rich to me.

( But I would probably manage just fine if it were served to me wink )

allthekingsshoes Sat 07-Jan-17 19:35:46

Yes to oysters or scallops perhaps? or pear, blue cheese and endive salad

inthekitchensink Sat 07-Jan-17 19:38:02

Ooh yes to pear & blue cheese endive salad above, or scallops & chorizo with rocket, or mini French onion soups with gruyere mini toasts grin

Ehlana Sat 07-Jan-17 19:42:00

Scallops in a tomato and red pepper sauce. Light and very yummy.

foodiefil Sat 07-Jan-17 20:49:31

Oops didn't realise it was cheesecake for dessert. I'd probs still have that though hahah. This was the end result - with watercress and toasted pine nuts

I do LOVE scallops to start. Think light. Steak is divine and rich and luxurious you don't want anything heavy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now