Talk

Advanced search

Glut of plums

(14 Posts)
Leirope Sat 07-Jan-17 17:19:35

DH has arrived home with what can only be described as a metric fucktonne of plums from the market.

Any ideas of what to do with them? We have some duck breasts in the freezer so will make a plum sauce to go with that, but seeking inspiration beyond jam.

ShowMeTheElf Sat 07-Jan-17 17:24:51

Crumble.
Upside down cake (sprinkle bottom of lined buttered cake tin with brown sugar, then cover with a layer of halved (flat side down) plums, top with cake batter and bake as normal. Heaven!
chutney instead of jam

ShowMeTheElf Sat 07-Jan-17 17:26:17

poach in wine and serve with good vanilla ice cream with the thickened syrup over the top.

ShowMeTheElf Sat 07-Jan-17 17:27:06

If you are anywhere near west cambs I'd be happy to take some off your hands.... which market?

lovelearning Sat 07-Jan-17 17:27:50

www.lovetobrew.co.uk/plum-brandy-recipe

Leirope Sat 07-Jan-17 18:13:25

Ooooh, that upside down cake sounds great! I'm bf'ing and craving sweet things. Is there any type of cake you use on the top or just a Victoria sponge type thing? I have some sponge fingers left over from Christmas so could incorporate those. Unfortunately I'm in London otherwise I'd be more than happy to share (and clear space on my kitchen table)!

The plum brandy is definitely a contender.

Leirope Sat 07-Jan-17 18:14:37

Wait, I've just seen 3-4 months. I need it's comforting burn now!

Helspopje Sat 07-Jan-17 18:18:28

Spiced plum jam is lush
As is slow cooked duck/chicken with plums and 5 spice

lovelearning Sat 07-Jan-17 19:21:43

Spiced plum jam

Yum

ShowMeTheElf Sun 08-Jan-17 17:31:29

Yes, just normal Victoria sponge for the upside down cake.

FormerlyFrikadela01 Sun 08-Jan-17 19:47:14

The fuck ton of plums that came off our tree became:

Crumble
Upside down cake
Plum jam (that now resembles plum toffee since I overcooked it)
Plum chutney
Chinese style plum sauce

My favourite was the plum chutney. Still got a few jars. It's delish with cheese.

milkmoustache Sun 08-Jan-17 20:15:53

If you can be bothered to stone and halve some, open freeze first then put into bags for future plum crumbles. Or roast a whole tray, halved, with orange juice, brown sugar, cinnamon and freeze some or all of it.

GeorgiePeachie Fri 13-Jan-17 10:54:51

I know I'm late OP but:

Hugh Fernley Wittingstall's : Chicken Plum Soy. You can get it online

Roasted chicken thighs with garlic and ginger. Then add the plums to roast in the juice of the chicken slosh soy to glaze. Serve with plain rice. (OMG)

4merlyknownasSHD Mon 16-Jan-17 11:16:52

Plum Tarte Tatin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now