Talk

Advanced search

Help! Child friendly dairy free, soya free mainly veggie recipes?

(11 Posts)
Namejustfornappies Sat 07-Jan-17 17:03:04

I'm running out of things to cook that everyone will eat.
I need to be dairy and soya free due to breastfed baby.
Neither DD (5&3) will eat red meat. Dd1 will eat chicken. Both occasionally eat fish as fish fingers, tinned salmon heavily disguised, or tinned tuna heavily disguised.
Neither like potatoes or quinoa.
It needs to be quick and easy to cook as I have a baby who gets grumpy at just the wrong time. Or be slow cooked.

I'm so completely fed up with cooking stuff just to bin most of it!

Help?!

early30smum Sat 07-Jan-17 22:40:32

Do they eat pasta? Pasta with tomato based veg sauce (so easy, just onions, garlic fried in some oil then add chopped veg eg courgettes and peppers, passata and tomato puree) and then simmer for about 30 mins. You can then blend it if they won't eat it with chunky veg in, and this can be used as a pasta sauce to chuck different stuff in, tuna one day, if they eat sausages, sausage pasta another day etc.

Namejustfornappies Sun 08-Jan-17 07:06:52

Thanks for that bur dd1 wibt eat tomato based sauces any more - so we've lost our main staples of risottos, pasta and pizza.
Both eat veg though fine smile

Namejustfornappies Sun 08-Jan-17 07:10:35

Yes they both love pasta. Egg is hit and miss - dd1 says she hates scrambled egg, dd2 won't eat boiled or fried eggs.
For about 6 months I've been doing the advised giving them the food and not commenting on how much they eat, making sure there is one thing on their plate they will eat, no emotion etc. But I'm sick of chucking uneaten food and for them to say they're hungry at bedtime because they've not eaten anything at dinner!

DoItTooJulia Sun 08-Jan-17 07:27:59

* Cous cous and roasted veg?
*Egg fried rice (ds is funny about eggs but will eat this!) with sweet corn And peas and mini spring rolls.
Jacket potatoes
*I do a shredded salad and serve it with wraps for a build your own meal (you could add chicken or halloumi although halloumi wouldn't work for the dairy free)
*Homemade wedges and beans with something like a bean burger or whatever
Nothing wrong with beans on toast either!

BearFoxBear Sun 08-Jan-17 07:49:24

Sounds familiar. We're dairy, soya, egg, banana and gluten free! Some of our regular meals (all eaten by myself, dh and 2 year old ds) include:

Paella
Stovies
Homemade pizza with vegan cheese
Butternut squash macaroni cheese
Minestrone soup
Stovies
Fried rice
Sushi
Pasta with homemade pesto/tomato sauce/spinach, peas and vegan cheese
Chicken or ham broth (cook for hours to break the meat down and hide it)
Rice noodle bowl
Mince & tatties
Quesadillas
Sweet potato and black bean chili
Mexican rice bowls
Baked sweet potatoes
Fish curry
Fish tacos
Prawn and avocado wraps

If you don't already use pinterest, give it a try - it's brilliant for vegan recipes that you tweak if need be.

Namejustfornappies Sun 08-Jan-17 08:42:22

Will try fried rice, fish tacos, and fish curry, thanks. Could give a variation of stories with quorn mince maybe? (Had to Google stories! grin)

At the moment when I do pasta dd1 has hers with a jar of pesto, while everyone else has a tomato based sauce.
Pizza - dd1 has no tomato sauce, just cheese, dd2 and myself have just sauce no cheese, and DH has everything.
Fish fingers / chicken nuggets - dd1 eats everything, dd2 won't eat chips or what's inside the breadcrumbs, I don't like chips ....
Quesidillas - dd1 doesn't like them, and I can't have the cheese.

It's ridiculous sad I'm tempted just to serve pasta, veg, boiled egg, jarred pesto and a tomato sauce every night. At least then everyone has something to eat!

Namejustfornappies Sun 08-Jan-17 08:42:55

Stories = stovies

Namejustfornappies Sun 08-Jan-17 08:46:06

Im afraid to say I've stayed clear of couscous for a while just because dd2 still drops loads of food on the floor, and couscous is a PITA to clear up.

BearFoxBear Wed 11-Jan-17 14:34:46

Namejustfornappies I'm afraid that a guid Scottish lass, I couldn't possibly condone quorn stovies gringrin

It's hard work isn't it? We often end up just putting out what we call a picnic tea - everyone gets some plain rice/pasta and then helps themselves to cold meat, olives, guacamole, vegan cheese etc.

Also, the violife vegan cheese slices are pretty good in quesidillas, worth a try!

Namejustfornappies Wed 11-Jan-17 19:28:44

grin I know I know (hangs head in shame) grin

I think picnic tea is the way to go. Will try the violife cheese, thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now