Talk

Advanced search

morphy richards soup maker - help!

(10 Posts)
bonnieweelass Sat 07-Jan-17 16:15:56

so I got the morphy richards soup maker for christmas (the kettle style one) and I think its crap. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Smooth setting is too watery and chunky setting is far too chunky (eg like same size as they went in)

I've tried following recipes that I've found online, and also tried using pre chopped soup packs but no luck.

Is there a way of using the machine that I have somehow missed?

charley3005 Sat 07-Jan-17 16:19:51

I have one of these and also found the smooth setting very crap, I ended up putting more potatoes in to thicken it up which seemed to work. Unfortunately haven't used the chunky setting though so can't help you there.

AlbusPercival Sat 07-Jan-17 16:20:34

If smooth is too watery you need more solids, so probably veg, in there.

TiggH Sat 07-Jan-17 16:28:13

I was bought one of these with the saute feature. I've found the recipes that come with it have worked fine. The chunky setting doesn't use the blender so I use the manual blend setting to whizz it to my liking.

TheCakes Sat 07-Jan-17 16:30:10

I was also given one of these for Christmas and also think it's crap. And it takes up lots of space I don't have.
Currently wondering how long till it can 'disappear' without seeming ungrateful...

User006point5 Sat 14-Jan-17 14:11:54

I have one with the saute feature, and I use it all the time, but I don't use the recipes. It's great for using up leftover vegetables - although bear in mind that it can look a bit "sludgy" (DD's thoughts), depending on what veg you use.

For the smooth setting, I use 800g of cut-up vegetables, a couple of stock cubes and top up to the max line with water. Sometimes I replace 200g of the vegetables with a tin (400g) of chopped tomatoes. Sometimes, I add a spoon of curry powder as well.

I throw everything in, walk the dog, then press the start button when I get home. By the time I've cleaned the dog, got changed etc, the soup's ready.

cocodidit1 Wed 18-Jan-17 13:02:33

I also got one for Xmas and I'm obsessed with it.
The kids are sick of soup at this stage. I think you need to add more veg if its too watery. I have gotten quite adventurous and started popping in ginger etc. I don't have a lot else going on in life...........

Ineedabiscuit Wed 18-Jan-17 13:21:34

I love mine . You are using too much water or stock if too watery you just need to adjust. I don't use a recipe but if it is too thick on smooth just add boiling water to thin it . If the chunky is too chunky just cut the pieces of veg smaller. Soup making is not rocket science ! Just a bit adjustment here and there.

Twistmeandturnme Wed 18-Jan-17 13:24:15

Ok, I'm intrigued.
Is a soup maker like a cross between an electric pan and a blender?
What is the advantage over a pan and a blender?

User006point5 Fri 20-Jan-17 16:43:31

It looks a bit like a kettle, but the lid has the blender attached. Until I got it, I didn't see the point.

However, the advantage is that you can throw everything in (on mine, I can fry first, but just lately, haven't bothered), put on the lid (which has the blender attachment), press go, and come back to find the soup ready.

The washing up is really easy - I just rinse the lid (plus attached blender blade) when I take it off to serve, and it's clean.

So as I see it, the advantages are - you don't need to keep an eye on it, stir etc; you can set it up in advance; and there's very little washing up. It's also a great way to use up leftover vegetables.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now