Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone offer delicious South Korean recipes?

(7 Posts)
shockingsocks Sat 07-Jan-17 13:33:57

We have a old friend coming to stay whose girlfriend is South Korean. They've both been travelling around for a few weeks now so I'd say she'd be desperate for some 'home' food.
We've had a look online but we haven't the foggiest notion which recipes online are good and which are just OK.
Wondered if anyone had any recipes, tips or could recommend an online resource...

TheSpottedZebra Sat 07-Jan-17 17:31:44

Judy Joo is a Korean/American chef in the UK - she's had series on Food Network which are excellent and probably online.

shockingsocks Sun 08-Jan-17 08:11:20

Thank you - will giver her a go!

MrsSnow Sun 08-Jan-17 08:30:32

I'd say some thing like kimchi fried rice, or even bimbap if you have the time to put it together.

Sweet potato cooked on charcol is easy and very south korean.

NicknameUsed Sun 08-Jan-17 08:35:06

If I was in South Korea the last thing I would want would be someone trying to cook me an English meal. Is there any way you can find out beforehand whether this will go down well?

Landrygrasshead Sun 08-Jan-17 08:51:03

Not sure how many recipes you want but:
Bibimbap food of the gods basically a bowl of rice, an egg, lots of lovely vegetables and gochujang, decent recipe to follow is: youtu.be/6QQ67F8y2b8
Gochu japchae

We make huge batches of kimchi every so often but that seems overkill for just a visit as you have to to let it ferment (and it makes your fridge stink for weeks!) but maybe get some from a shop, that's eaten in s korea basically everyday
A nice comfort food is dakjuk, simplest recipe is basically boil some chicken breasts with garlic then shred the chicken, cook some rice in chicken stock then combine the two together into a soup, you can add spring onions, carrots, whatever you want to the soup.
Gamjajeon (potato pancake basically) grate and squeeze liquid out of potato and onion then pat into pancake shape and cook with oil then serve with soy sauce and vinegar (rice vinegar)

Get some kimchi, rice and gochujang and throw some veg or meat with it and you can't go wrong really

Mominatrix Sun 08-Jan-17 09:23:53

Do you live near a good Oriental grocery? Better yet, near SE London? A well stocked store will expand the things you can cook for your guest, and SE London is home to Koreatown and an enormous H Mart.

A homesick Korean will miss a good bowel of rice, kimchee, banchan, and a good soup.

Most modern Koreans make their rice in a pressurised cooker but I doubt that your guest will require that level of preparation - a decent bowel of short grain rice will do.

Kimchee is a must - have several varieties. Mat kimchee is the typical nappa cabbage one, and other varieties can easily be found (cucumber and radish are the other most common).

Banchan are small bowels of sides to serve along with the rice. Steamed and sauteed bean sprouts with sesame oil, sesame seeds, and spring onions. Spinach prepared in the same way as the bean sprouts - a variation which I grew up with is sauteed watercress prepared this way. Firm tofu sliced and pressed to remove excess water, pan fried, and seasoned. Sliced sauteed courgette is also easily prepared. Also commonly presented and easily prepared is thick seasoned omelette sliced into cubes. Loads of possibilities - the key is small amounts and several of them.

Grilled salted whole fish is very popular - particularly mackerel. My parents go mad for the mackerel in the UK each time they come.

A comforting soup, at least for my parents, is a must. These are usually seasoned with dried anchovies and daengang +/- gochoojang. There is often a bit of pork to add flavour. this web site is good for recipes. I have liked the stews page, but if you go to the home page, there are many more categories.

Now, if you live near the H Mart, you life will be made much easier as they sell pre-made banchan, stews, pre-marinated meat for grilling, and fish varieties Koreans love. It is as big as Costco, and the first place my Mom wants to go to in London.

Good Luck!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now