Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

What can I do with ginger?

(20 Posts)
MNcuriousnewbie Sat 07-Jan-17 10:11:51

I just got my ASDA order through and I have ordered waaaaay too much ginger!! It's one of those where you pick the weight. I decided 400g seemed about right blush

(DH has since pointed out I probably could've worked out that one little knob of ginger doesn't weigh that much!!)

Anyone got any tried and tested recipes using ginger?? Open to anything!! (Although it is January, so I don't want to use it all in cake!!)

NB... I'm a pescatarian but happy to sub any meat.

Thanks!!

Allalonenow Sat 07-Jan-17 10:16:32

Freeze it!

876TaylorMade Sat 07-Jan-17 10:18:34

Look for lots of Asian recipes... they use a lot of ginger, very lovely.

home made ginger beer.

Chiliprepper Sat 07-Jan-17 10:19:34

Stir fry!

This is delicious, especially with a plum compote
https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/14/fresh-ginger-cake-recipe

iklboo Sat 07-Jan-17 10:24:21

Ginger ice cream
Ginger cake
Ginger biscuits
Ginger beer

I should have added, I know you said you didn't want cake, but I think it's more of a puddingwink

MiladyThesaurus Sat 07-Jan-17 10:27:16

This braised aubergine dish has ginger in it and is utterly lovely. Make piles of it.

MiladyThesaurus Sat 07-Jan-17 10:28:58

You can pickle ginger.

MiladyThesaurus Sat 07-Jan-17 10:30:30

plenty of recipes here.

Weedsnseeds1 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:32:08

Bung it in the freezer. You could grate it first and portion it, but I normally just cut what I need from the frozen corm and put the rest back. You don't need to defrost, just use as is.

NoTractorsAtTheTable Sat 07-Jan-17 10:35:46

Ginger tea - just roughly chop it and stew it in a pan with hot water for 5 - 10 mins. Lovely with a slice of lemon in it.

It does last ages in the fridge, even if you forget to freeze it blush

NameChange2017 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:50:31

I put soy sauce, ginger, fresh red chilli, honey and sweet corn in a wok and it's amazing!!!!

NameChange2017 Sat 07-Jan-17 10:51:26

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/stir-fried-corn-with-chilli-ginger-garlic-and-parsley/

wine

AtleastitsnotMonday Sat 07-Jan-17 11:36:21

BNS and ginger soup

Leviticus Sat 07-Jan-17 11:44:38

It lasts a few weeks so don't panic.

I use it in curries and stir fry. Also put a couple of slices in boiling water (lemon optional) for ginger tea.

wundringnow Sat 07-Jan-17 11:57:36

Ginger syrup for coffee or ice cream would use a lot.

Otherwise I use tons of ginger in Chinese dishes. It's a fabulous thing.

Tartyflette Sat 07-Jan-17 12:07:19

Soy and ginger dipping sauce for prawns, spring rolls, dim sum etc.Takes two minutes.

In a small serving bowl mix equal quantities of soy sauce and a light vinegar (like rice vinegar) , add two teaspoons of fresh ginger slivers,
a crushed clove of garlic and a finely shredded spring onion. Add a sliced chilli too if you like it hot. That's it.

PutDownThatLaptop Sat 07-Jan-17 15:11:38

Boil some vegetables up in chicken stock or vegetable stock (using a dissolvable stock cube in boiling water). Add ginger and garlic and when cooked blast in an blender. Warming winter soup!

InTheDessert Sat 07-Jan-17 15:24:42

Freeze half of it.
Put the rest in the fridge.
Use slowly in soy and ginger marinade for chicken, or any of the above ideas.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now