Talk

Advanced search

Best Chilli recipe please?

(13 Posts)
DailyMailDontStealMyThread Fri 06-Jan-17 22:52:56

I do mine in the slow cooker out of laziness and ease of being able to be out of the house but it's always meh.

I'm thinking the hob would be better, maybe?

I'm following a Jamie O recipe at the minute but would like to try a fail tested one.

lashy Fri 06-Jan-17 22:56:52

This is my fave :- www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/3228/chilli-con-carne

HelenF350 Fri 06-Jan-17 23:01:44

I second the BBC one, although I double the chilli powder as we like ours hot.

Joinourclub Fri 06-Jan-17 23:03:57

Mines slightly different very time, but the game changer was when I added SMOKED paprika.

buzzmoon Fri 06-Jan-17 23:04:20

My DP makes the best chilli, just with the colemans chilli flavouring packets but, uses the kidney beans in chilli sauce, adds a tin of baked beans, mushrooms, spinach and coriander and is amazing smile

TolpuddleFarterOATB Fri 06-Jan-17 23:08:57

I made the BBC good food one tonight - it always goes down a treat

DailyMailDontStealMyThread Fri 06-Jan-17 23:10:16

I should add, I don't like it spicey smile

Thank you

CondensedMilkSarnies Fri 06-Jan-17 23:11:24

I second using kidney beans in chilli sauce , it makes the juice lovely and thick.

IHeartKingThistle Fri 06-Jan-17 23:12:25

That good food one is my staple, though I leave out the peppers.

When I want to push the boat out I do Lisa Faulkners slow cooked one. Amazing.

HerOtherHalf Fri 06-Jan-17 23:13:52

I make it with diced beef instead of mince, with chorizo or diced bacon, paprika, fresh chillis, cocoa powder, cumin, and liquid smoke.

TheMortificadosDragon Fri 06-Jan-17 23:19:45

I don't use a recipe, but what I made tonight was pretty similar to the BBC recipe.

chop an onion, slowly brown that in some olive oil while chopping a red pepper and some garlic. Add that and saute for a bit, then add 500g mince and brown well ... the browning adds significantly to the flavour (good old Maillard reaction, yum!) Then add 2tbsp mild chilli powder (you might want less), 1tbsp each smoked paprika, oregano, and plain flour. Then a good dollop of tomato puree, a knorr veg stock cube, tin toms, a tinful of water, and a tin of red kidney beans. Simmer for an hour or so. DH and I had it with brown rice, DD with potato wedges, and a sprinkling of grated cheddar.

Mrstumbletap Sat 07-Jan-17 18:59:04

Yes tesco kidney beans in chilli sauce. I do min with Mince, Onions, Loads of cumin, can of chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, red green and yellow peppers chopped to fingernail size, lazy garlic and chilli powder, salt and pepper. Always empty plates on chilli night.

For tacos I do the same but without the chopped tomatoes and add mushrooms so it's more dry.

OohhItsNotHoxton Wed 25-Jan-17 22:06:10

Hairy Bikers chilli is amazing. I leave out the wine and add a tsp of cinnamon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now