Talk

Advanced search

What is Salmon en croute supposed to be?

(18 Posts)
PeachesMcLean Wed 21-Feb-07 17:32:25

I've got salmon. I've got puff pastry. Is that it???

(I've just thought there should be some sort of sauce involved....) Hope not - was planning to start cooking in half an hour!
Thanks all in advance

FluffyMummy123 Wed 21-Feb-07 17:33:05

Message withdrawn

3sEnough Wed 21-Feb-07 17:33:27

White/cream sauce too sometimes with dill - not too much though or it goes really soggy!

southeastastra Wed 21-Feb-07 17:33:31

anything en croute is lovely

nailpolish Wed 21-Feb-07 17:33:49

oh yes must have dill

3sEnough Wed 21-Feb-07 17:33:54

Not easy - M&S much easier!

Carmenere Wed 21-Feb-07 17:34:22

It is very easy, yes it is just salmon wrapped in puff pastry, salmon steam beautifully in the time it takes to cook the pastry. Serve it with a beurre blanc sauce.

FluffyMummy123 Wed 21-Feb-07 17:35:21

Message withdrawn

Hulababy Wed 21-Feb-07 17:35:56

Yes, Salmon en croute is just salmon and pastry. Nice to add butter, lemon, dill or spinach as well.

ComeOVeneer Wed 21-Feb-07 17:36:03

Beurre blanc sauce is good and must have dill. Yummy

Oati Wed 21-Feb-07 17:37:06

shuud gone to waitrose Cod

PeachesMcLean Wed 21-Feb-07 17:37:49

I could do a white sauce with lots of dill. Would a dollop of it go inside the pastry or served on top of it?

Thanks Carmenere but I'd have to start a thread entitled "What is beurre blanc supposed to be?"

KathyMCMLXXII Wed 21-Feb-07 17:38:27

LOL - just read Cod's 'srecnetly' as 'secretly' - was thinking 'but why does she want to keep it a secret?'

Personally would serve with hollandaise, if I could be bothered.

Hulababy Wed 21-Feb-07 17:39:13

If you put it inside be very careful not to add too much - otherwise the pastry will go soggy.

Carmenere Wed 21-Feb-07 17:41:50

Ok it is actually really easy once you get the hang of it and if it curdles it won't matter too much if you add a load of fresh chopped dill into it.
You need butter chopped into inch squares and in the fridge as it needs to be cold.

Reduce some white wine vineagar with some chopped shallots and peppercorns in the bottom of a heavy sauce pan. When it has reduced by half, add half a cup of cream. Allow this to reduce by half and then slowly add a cube of butter whilst stirring. Continue to do this until your butter is used up(about 1/4 lb should do it.
Keep the sauce warm by keeping it at the side of the cooker and add a handful of chopped dill just before you serve.

littlelapin Wed 21-Feb-07 17:42:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

LIZS Wed 21-Feb-07 17:42:43

We did it at Christmas - layered mixture of softened chopped fennel and onions with watercress added at the last minute to wilt, then the salmon , then wrapped it up in pastry. Served with a "sauce" of watercress and cremefraiche blended.

PeachesMcLean Wed 21-Feb-07 17:45:52

That sounds delicious. Will have to try that next time as I've neither shallots nor white wine vinegar (or cream for that matter.... Oh, or in fact butter).

We're into salmon at the moment so I'll let you know how that goes next week!

Off now to start on tonight's food - thanks all for your posts. I've been googling for 10 minutes befoe posting and knew I'd get a better answer here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now