Talk

Advanced search

Pressure cooker novice recipes

(22 Posts)
WhatAPigsEar Fri 06-Jan-17 10:42:22

I've just invested in an electric pressure cooker but have never used one before. Does anyone have any recipes for bog standard family food: Bolognaise/chilli/soups/chicken dishes etc.
The recipe booklet it came with has stuff the kids wouldn't touch 😒
Thanks in advance

Helenluvsrob Fri 06-Jan-17 14:19:46

Just got mine . I'm not a "recipie cook" as such. At the moment I'm chucking stuff in and guessing....

Cooked my usual bolognaise with only a little extra water to swill the tomato tins out . pressure cooked 15mins and left overnight for NPR . Chilli would be just the same cooking time I assume.

Utterly yum. Better than overnight slow cook? not sure, maybe. Plenty wet enough though.

I sauteed the veg ( lots as usual) added the meat to brown then stirred all the herbs/garlic/stock jelly in that I usually use, and dumped 3 tins toms on the top. I didn't stir them in or add paste as I read it can burn on the base .

What ever chicken you usually do will be fine /great. I'd use the cooking time from a similar recipe and if not done just give it another 2min

Musicinthe00ssucks Fri 06-Jan-17 14:34:55

I got one a couple of months ago and love it! I usually make chilli, curries and pasta sauces. I've also made risottos and done a Mediterranean chicken dish.

I have used sauces from the supermarket and put them with chicken as well.

The most mind blowing thing for me was that you can put raw mean (including chicken) in it and the meat is cooked and falling apart in about 45 minutes!

Musicinthe00ssucks Fri 06-Jan-17 14:37:02

Meat not mean!

WhatAPigsEar Fri 06-Jan-17 15:17:35

Thanks Helen you're braver than me, just experimenting. I'm concerned if I don't put in enough liquid it will explode grin
Music do you have any recipes/timings please?

Outinthegarden Sat 07-Jan-17 19:29:23

Poached chicken is fab! Is yours big enough for a whole chicken? Takes about 10mins for medium sized bird. Add herbs, spices, soy to make a light flavour. I take some of the skin off so the broth you are left with isn't to fatty (although the collagen is meant to be great for you skin) and can be used for other things like soup.

WhatAPigsEar Sat 07-Jan-17 22:26:08

That sounds interesting Out, I think I could fit a whole bird in it. How much liquid would it need? Just follow the rough guidelines on the machine?

saltedcaramelhotchoc Sun 08-Jan-17 09:05:25

This is good

http://www.pressurecookingtoday.com/pressure-cooker-thai-chicken-thighs/

And there are other recipes on that site that work too.

Skinny taste blog has some recipes too and also this one
http://www.everynookandcranny.net/tag/instant-pot/

I have a pressure cooker recipe book by Catherine Phipps which has good tips in it.

WhatAPigsEar Sun 08-Jan-17 22:32:03

Thanks Salted I'm off to look for that book on Amazon. Thai chicken sounds yum too

Outinthegarden Tue 10-Jan-17 12:24:16

Sorry What I went AWOL. I about half full the pressure cooker with water. You need to be carful how much water you put in generally for cooking. Things like beans (which you don't need to soak overnight and can just be cooked on high for 10mins) foam a little and rehydrate therefore take up more room then you expect, also the obvious pressure build up - the rubber seal on my lid bursts out from between lid and pan when I have put to much liquid in.

user1473069303 Sun 15-Jan-17 16:50:39

I make this all the time:
www.facebook.com/notes/instant-pot-uk/instant-pot-simple-rice-pudding/264469557033335
I was a bit dubious at first but have since made it at least ten times, it's brilliant.

I also sometimes do ribs (you'll need to look up the timings as I can't remember) which I baste in sauce and then finish off under the grill.

I'm currently doing this recipe (40 mins under pressure) and crossing my fingers it'll be ok.
www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1758666/chinese-braised-beef-with-ginger

plimsolls Sun 15-Jan-17 16:56:27

Sorry to hijack the thread but this seems to be a good audience and I'd like to mark my place in case I do buy one. Can I ask your opinion please....... I was thinking of getting a slow cooker but then heard about electric pressure cookers which also seem to do the same job and more besides. I know very little about either.....would you recommend the pressure cooker?

Thank you

user1473069303 Sun 15-Jan-17 17:05:42

plimsolls yes, I recommend the electric pressure cookers. Mine has a slowcook function but I never use it (although that's just my personal taste). I think they're a good option if you'd like something multipurpose. I also have a manual pressure cooker, which I also use as it holds more. Getting a beef stew on the table in under an hour instead of 2-3 hours is brilliant.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sun 15-Jan-17 17:15:20

well, now you've done it...
just whipped out to make rice pudding! grin

@plimsolls there's a mahoooosive thread by lougle about the instant pot

i <3 mine.....it's almost on the "rescue from a burning building" list.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheTimeG0es Sun 15-Jan-17 17:27:28

If it's the Instant Pot I agree about the recipe book but hidden inside it at the back of the English section are some useful tables of timings etc, I only discovered these today having bought it in November.

VeryPunny Sun 15-Jan-17 17:28:58

Google the Dad Cooks Dinner blog, there are lots of PC recipes there, including a killer macaroni cheese.

Yddraigoldragon Sun 15-Jan-17 17:49:51

I have an instant pot, my go to easy food is soup/stew. Switch on sauté wait til it says hot. Little bit of oil, bung meat in to brown. I use chicken, mince, chunks of beef, lamb neck fillets etc.
When brown I add three stock cubes dissolved in a normal mug of boiling water and make sure the bottom is clean of brown sticky bits, chuck loads of veg in, favouring like curry paste, herbs, tom purée. I have used red lentils which I cover with boiling water when I switch the pot on, drain and chuck in with a tiny bit more water.
Then put the lid on and hit the soup button. Needs a good stir when it beeps but it tastes like stew which has been cooking all day and most of yesterday and the best thing is it doesn't steam the house up, doesn't stick, just set it and forget it till it shouts for attention. Best gadget ever!

plimsolls Sun 15-Jan-17 19:04:56

Thanks user and tondelaya I will look up that thread.

mybrainhurtsalot Sun 15-Jan-17 21:45:15

You can even cook stuff from frozen. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable doing a big joint, but I have cooked ribs & chicken pieces straight from the freezer & they turned out great.

It makes the most amazing stock which is brilliant to have in useful sized quantities in the freezer for sauces and soups.

Delicious chicken teriyaki

ribena71 Mon 16-Jan-17 00:26:04

I bought an electric pressure cooker a few weeks ago (after reading the Instant Pot thread in AIBU!) and I love it! I cooked a whole chicken from frozen in less than half an hour, plus maybe 10-15 minutes for the pot to reach pressure. The cooking meat from frozen thing is a real game changer for me as I'm notoriously unorganized! (Plus you can make a wicked cheesecake in it! wink )

Cineraria Mon 16-Jan-17 00:44:53

I do a lot of soups in my pressure cooker. It's not an electric one but is the timed type rather than the whistling weighted type. Spicy lentil is the easiest and favourite soup:

3/4 cup of red lentils
One potato quartered
One onion quartered
One large carrot cut in 4-6 pieces
Tsp salt
Tsp hot smoked paprika or paprika and chilli powder
Enough water to cover

It takes ten minutes to cook from when it reaches pressure and we blend it and serve with lemon juice and black pepper on the top plus crusty bread.

Another thing I like about it is that you can cook black eyed beans in a pressure cooker without needing to soak them first and I use them to do these refried beans: moneysavingmom.com/2012/03/how-to-make-homemade-refried-beans.html, which are really tasty for any kind of Mexican meal.

user1473069303 Mon 16-Jan-17 09:51:20

Tondelaya hope you enjoyed the rice pud!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now