Talk

Advanced search

uses for stilton for someone who doesn't like stilton

(17 Posts)
FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 05-Jan-17 16:48:07

So the in laws have palmed the remains of a cheeseboard off on us. I've got ideas for all the cheese's except the bloody stilton.

Not a huge fan of blue cheese's nor is DP but I'm loathe to waste it.

Is there any uses for it that would make the flavour less intense?

Would cheese scones with stilton just be cheese overload?

Madbengalmum Thu 05-Jan-17 16:49:47

Scones or a chese sauce?

Longdistance Thu 05-Jan-17 16:51:26

Make some broccoli and Stilton soup?

Stuffed mushrooms?

SurelyYoureJokingMrFeynman Thu 05-Jan-17 16:55:41

Also nice in leek and potato soup.

Stilton freezes well, so you could freeze in small portions and use a small dose each time.

TheGruffaloMother Thu 05-Jan-17 16:55:45

Melt it with port and use as a sauce for steak and mushrooms. Very rich and nice!

ConfusedDotty Thu 05-Jan-17 16:57:32

Steak and stilton pie.

OpalTree Thu 05-Jan-17 16:57:50

If you don't like taste of it I'd have thought you wouldn't be keen on anything made with it. Is there a neighbour you could pass it on to?

FormerlyFrikadela01 Thu 05-Jan-17 17:00:53

I like the idea of the pie. Also like the idea of freezing it in small portions.

Luckily it isn't a huge amount unlike the whole wheel of brie they gave us

EBearhug Thu 05-Jan-17 17:14:27

There is no good use for Stilton. It will ruin any scones, soups or sauces you add it to and render them quite inedible.

I do understand about not wanting to waste it, though. Find a friend or neighbour who shares with of others in this thread the delusion that it does count as a foodstuff, and donate it to them. Don't make yourselves miserable by trying to eat it yourselves.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 05-Jan-17 17:17:56

I hate Stilton but I love it in mushroom and Stilton pie.

QueenMortifauxcado Thu 05-Jan-17 17:22:26

I hate stilton for the most part but like a little bit in a steak sauce. A savoury cheesecake might mellow the flavour a bit. Maybe just bake something with it and gift it back to them?

bitofabelly Thu 05-Jan-17 22:17:21

I love Stilton. Chop it into small little pieces and add to salad....rocket, tomatoes, spring onion, roasted beetroot, chopped pistachio nuts, crumbled Stilton and drizzle of homemade dressing....olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Dijon mustard, pepper, honey (shake vigorously smile)

TheDropBear Fri 06-Jan-17 18:42:47

I don't usually like blue cheese but once had an amazing blue cheese and pear tart as a starter.
It may have just been a milder blue cheese though...

HelenDenver Tue 10-Jan-17 21:34:06

Broccoli and Stilton soup. Yum.

Blu Tue 10-Jan-17 22:12:33

Freeze it and then use it in some recipe for another event, when you don't need to eat it. Little Stilton and walnut tarts (common recipe, can. Be googled) to take to someone else's party.

If you don't like it, you don't!

I don't like it and would put it out for the birds if I couldn't feed it to someone else.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Tue 10-Jan-17 22:15:31

we are not blue cheese fans, but if I have any to use then it goes in a pie.

Chicken and Ham with a thick creamy sauce...you can either put the cheese in the sauce, or crumble it through the chicken and ham

4merlyknownasSHD Wed 11-Jan-17 09:38:45

Stilton and Celeriac soup. Wonderful. Or, cheese on toast. this is a great way to use up rather old, vaguely rancid Stilton as it nullifies the strong flavour. It would remove most of the flavour or fresher cheese. Perhaps put some tomato on the top.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: