Talk

Advanced search

Bone Broth

(15 Posts)
foodiefil Tue 03-Jan-17 23:47:11

Have spent all day boiling beef bones to make the Hemsley & Hemsley bone broth... all jarred up to go in the fridge when it's cooled down.

What should it taste like and what should the consistency be? I can taste/feel the fat from the bones. It's not bad just wondering if that's right...

VanillaSugar Tue 03-Jan-17 23:50:46

It will be nicer when it's very hot! Use it as a base for soup so add in extra chopped veg - poss even stir in an egg?

CleanHonestGoals Wed 04-Jan-17 20:26:46

One of the reasons I love my Instant pot..takes 2 hours. I always leave my broth to completly cool then skim/lift the fat off the top before portioning it up.
Makes a great base for soups or as just a general stock. I freeze mine in silicone bun cases then empty into freezer bags and chuck the odd few in when I need a stock

CleanHonestGoals Wed 04-Jan-17 20:27:44

Consistency wise you are looking for hopefully a jelly..apparently that's when you know you have the good stuff out the bones

Allalonenow Wed 04-Jan-17 20:32:41

I leave stock to cool, then skim off the fat before using. You will probably find that each jar has a top layer of fat once it's cold.
You will be able to make fab risotto, ragu and soup with that broth! smile

canihaveacoffeeplease Thu 05-Jan-17 19:07:24

Is bone broth just another way of saying homemade stock?

VanillaSugar Thu 05-Jan-17 20:44:57

It is, coffee, it is. But meat stock, not veg stock.

foodiefil Fri 06-Jan-17 08:48:37

Thanks!! I had a jelly consistency! Chuffed - it looks like the stuff Tom Kerridge uses in his Best Ever Dishes programme where he puts lamb stock on boulangere potatoes - that was jelly like. But obvs lamb stock.

Love the silicon bun case idea - that's amazing, where are they from?

ScarletForYa Fri 06-Jan-17 09:16:17

That looks great, do you mind me asking can you just buy the beef bones in the butcher?

foodiefil Fri 06-Jan-17 10:00:56

I got a bag of beef bones (about 3 kilo) for a pound. I wasn't in my usual butchers because I think they'd have given me them for free if I'd bought other things.

I went to one butchers who said they 'didn't do bones' 😳 I was imagining all these skeleton-less cows and chickens. Idiots.

ScarletForYa Fri 06-Jan-17 10:05:26

Ha @ skeletonless cows and chickens! smile thanks, I'm going to make some!

YelloDraw Fri 06-Jan-17 12:16:06

H&H and their 'bone broth' make me want to throw something heavy at the TV!

Pallisers Fri 06-Jan-17 12:28:46

I made beef stock before xmas. we had rib of beef for dinner on xmas day and the gravy, made using the stock, was the best ever. I make chicken stock fairly regularly but am now going to do beef stock as well.

I do the same as previous poster - put it in the fridge overnight and then it is easy to take off the fat. I am so going to steal the silicon case idea.

foodiefil Fri 06-Jan-17 14:44:35

Oh yeah of course gravy! Mmm lush. It's a bit sad how much joy I get out of batch cooking things and freezing them.

Jamie Oliver makes me feel like that 👊🏼 I still watch him though 😏

CleanHonestGoals Fri 06-Jan-17 15:35:18

You can pick up silicone bun/muffin cases all over...ebay, amazon, I got mine from TKMAXX

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: