Talk

Advanced search

Bone Broth

(15 Posts)
foodiefil Tue 03-Jan-17 23:47:11

Have spent all day boiling beef bones to make the Hemsley & Hemsley bone broth... all jarred up to go in the fridge when it's cooled down.

What should it taste like and what should the consistency be? I can taste/feel the fat from the bones. It's not bad just wondering if that's right...

VanillaSugar Tue 03-Jan-17 23:50:46

It will be nicer when it's very hot! Use it as a base for soup so add in extra chopped veg - poss even stir in an egg?

CleanHonestGoals Wed 04-Jan-17 20:26:46

One of the reasons I love my Instant pot..takes 2 hours. I always leave my broth to completly cool then skim/lift the fat off the top before portioning it up.
Makes a great base for soups or as just a general stock. I freeze mine in silicone bun cases then empty into freezer bags and chuck the odd few in when I need a stock

CleanHonestGoals Wed 04-Jan-17 20:27:44

Consistency wise you are looking for hopefully a jelly..apparently that's when you know you have the good stuff out the bones

Allalonenow Wed 04-Jan-17 20:32:41

I leave stock to cool, then skim off the fat before using. You will probably find that each jar has a top layer of fat once it's cold.
You will be able to make fab risotto, ragu and soup with that broth! smile

canihaveacoffeeplease Thu 05-Jan-17 19:07:24

Is bone broth just another way of saying homemade stock?

VanillaSugar Thu 05-Jan-17 20:44:57

It is, coffee, it is. But meat stock, not veg stock.

foodiefil Fri 06-Jan-17 08:48:37

Thanks!! I had a jelly consistency! Chuffed - it looks like the stuff Tom Kerridge uses in his Best Ever Dishes programme where he puts lamb stock on boulangere potatoes - that was jelly like. But obvs lamb stock.

Love the silicon bun case idea - that's amazing, where are they from?

ScarletForYa Fri 06-Jan-17 09:16:17

That looks great, do you mind me asking can you just buy the beef bones in the butcher?

foodiefil Fri 06-Jan-17 10:00:56

I got a bag of beef bones (about 3 kilo) for a pound. I wasn't in my usual butchers because I think they'd have given me them for free if I'd bought other things.

I went to one butchers who said they 'didn't do bones' 😳 I was imagining all these skeleton-less cows and chickens. Idiots.

ScarletForYa Fri 06-Jan-17 10:05:26

Ha @ skeletonless cows and chickens! smile thanks, I'm going to make some!

YelloDraw Fri 06-Jan-17 12:16:06

H&H and their 'bone broth' make me want to throw something heavy at the TV!

Pallisers Fri 06-Jan-17 12:28:46

I made beef stock before xmas. we had rib of beef for dinner on xmas day and the gravy, made using the stock, was the best ever. I make chicken stock fairly regularly but am now going to do beef stock as well.

I do the same as previous poster - put it in the fridge overnight and then it is easy to take off the fat. I am so going to steal the silicon case idea.

foodiefil Fri 06-Jan-17 14:44:35

Oh yeah of course gravy! Mmm lush. It's a bit sad how much joy I get out of batch cooking things and freezing them.

Jamie Oliver makes me feel like that 👊🏼 I still watch him though 😏

CleanHonestGoals Fri 06-Jan-17 15:35:18

You can pick up silicone bun/muffin cases all over...ebay, amazon, I got mine from TKMAXX

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now