Talk

Advanced search

Bunch of brown bananas - ideas please!

(14 Posts)
Squirrelfruitandnutkin Tue 03-Jan-17 14:20:45

Other than banana bread ideally! 😉

Seems that we've been using the Christmas junk food to replace our 5 a day! 😬

Flingmoo Tue 03-Jan-17 14:22:22

I came to say banana bread... Why wouldnt you make banana bread, it's amazing grin

Are they totally brown or just on the turn?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Tue 03-Jan-17 14:23:25

www.bbcgoodfood.com/howto/guide/top-10-ways-use-ripe-bananas

I actually sat down 20 minutes ago to look up the same thing.

LeadPipe Tue 03-Jan-17 14:23:29

I peel and freeze them. They look like poo but taste great in smoothies.

What about muffins? I make banana oat muffins that are good - add some nuts and they are a filling breakfast.

Scentofwater Tue 03-Jan-17 14:33:55

Banana milkshakes are a favourite here, in food processor add bananas, powdered milk (makes it thicker and frothy), milk and vanilla essence and whizz until smooth.

Flingmoo Tue 03-Jan-17 14:36:05

Oh yeah or also blend with ice cream and milk for a super healthy banana milkshake grin

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Tue 03-Jan-17 14:37:36

Banana muffins?

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Tue 03-Jan-17 16:06:33

No banana bread is good. But I have 6 brown bananas - that's a lot of banana bread! 😂

They're about 50-75% brown - too far gone for eating as they are.

Banana muffins are too much like banana bread, I'm hoping for something a bit different.

healthyheart Tue 03-Jan-17 16:23:14

Oooh thanks for this thread, ripe bananas here too! Microwave banana pud now cooking 🍰

HardcoreLadyType Tue 03-Jan-17 16:27:52

If you freeze them, you can make banana bread again in a few weeks' time. They will look really yukky, though, so be careful who sees them in that state, or they might not want to eat it.

Idrinkandiknowstuff Tue 03-Jan-17 16:28:06

Banana ice cream. Peel, freeze, then whiz in a food processor. Delicious.

Squirrelfruitandnutkin Tue 03-Jan-17 18:04:16

BTW what is everyone's favourite banana bread recipe? 🍌🍞

LeadPipe Tue 03-Jan-17 18:17:33

I use my mum's recipe that uses butter and tastes yummy. It is quite dense though so when I want a lighter one I use the Hummingbird Bakery Recipe.

But either way I freeze then thaw the very ripe bananas (it looks like vomit) but tastes really good this way.

justicewomen Tue 03-Jan-17 18:41:02

More overripe banana recipes lovefoodhatewaste.co.nz/wasted-ingredient/bananas/

BTW I just throw brown bananas in the freezer in their skins. Then when I have time I just get out and defrost in the microwave and then peel

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now