Talk

Advanced search

Part time vegetarian cookbook- any good? Or other veggie cookbook recommendations?

(16 Posts)
Howaboutthisone Sun 01-Jan-17 18:46:40

I've read the great thread on vegetarian tips and have loved the tips and recipe book recommendations on there. I don't think that we'll go vegetarian so much as drastically reduce our meat consumption by having vegetable based meals for at least half of the week to start off.
Is the part time vegetarian cookbook any good?
Am also eyeing up fresh India and hfw every day veg after that thread.

Howaboutthisone Mon 02-Jan-17 17:22:12

Anyone?

lastqueenofscotland Mon 02-Jan-17 20:17:58

The Leon fast vegetarian one is good

SheDoneAlreadyDoneHadHerses Mon 02-Jan-17 20:52:17

I bought HFW Three Good Things off the back of that thread and I made the parsnip and blue cheese soup today. Lovely. Very thick, very filling.

Flightywoman Mon 02-Jan-17 21:01:56

H F-W's Veg is good. Any of the books by Isa Chandra Moskowitz are really good - they're vegan rather than veggie, and are really inventive, delicious, and just very very good. She also has a website - www.isachandra.com/recipes/
and her old website was the post-punk kitchen - www.theppk.com/recipes/

Veggiestan by Sally Butcher is FAB - try the Afghan Carrot Stew, it's amazing, and Leith's Vegetarian Bible is good too - the Red Thai Squash Curry is one of our staples.

Howaboutthisone Mon 02-Jan-17 21:54:50

These are great- thanks!

PurpleDaisies Mon 02-Jan-17 21:55:57

Simon Rimmer's accidental vegetarian is really good.

HardcoreLadyType Mon 02-Jan-17 21:57:22

A Modern Way to Eat by Anna Jones is very good.

RufusTheSpartacusReindeer Mon 02-Jan-17 22:04:17

Good housekeeping step by step vegetarian cookbook

Bit old so it maybe an ebay job but its great

Has a picture index which i love

CaptainWarbeck Tue 03-Jan-17 03:20:54

I've used Fresh India a lot for meals lately and it's quick and pretty easy, with lots of good veggie recipes. She tells you what to pair up with what, and if a curry will feed enough people as a stand alone dish for dinner, which is handy. You don't notice the lack of meat in the recipes.

Hugh FW is quite good but the recipes are really simple (you could think some of the basic pasta and egg on things up yourself) so not one we've used loads.

lizzieoak Tue 03-Jan-17 03:35:47

Any of the Sally Butcher, she's fab. Also Madhur Jeffrey did a pan-Asian book years ago that was full of ideas. I'd second Anna Jones - her Modern Way to Cook & Modern Way to Eat are amazing. The photos are very inspiring and I've cooked my way through the first one. ottolenghi's Plenty is good, too, though maybe more time consuming than some others.

Once you get the hang of it, it's easy to adapt. I took Jamie Oliver's Asian noodles w beef from his American book (did soya "mince") & married it to a Momofuku marinade et voila!

LegoMam Tue 03-Jan-17 13:06:58

I would recommend The Happy Pear Cookbook. It's by twin brothers who run a fruit & veg shop/cafe here in Dublin. I have made a lot of the recipes and they are delicious!
I'm off to check out Fresh India now. That sounds like it would be right up my street.

Howaboutthisone Tue 03-Jan-17 19:20:57

I think mumsnet might be responsible for Fresh India now being out of stock on amazon!

milkmoustache Wed 04-Jan-17 10:17:28

Has anyone got Less meat, more veg by Rachel De Thample? I've been tempted, but have tried to cut down my cookbook collection....

SkyLucy Wed 04-Jan-17 10:26:30

I've been veggie (and a foodie!) for years and am OBSESSED with New Vegetarian Kitchen by Nicola Graimes. Just noticed she's written a book called Part Time Vegetarian - just had a peek and it looks similarly fabulous!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Part-Time-Vegetarian-Flexible-Recipes-Meat-Free/dp/1848992653/ref=laB001H6P5U66_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483525481&sr=1-1

Howaboutthisone Wed 04-Jan-17 15:46:45

That's the one I was eyeing up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now