Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Lentil bake - quite tasty but sucks every drop of moisture from your mouth....

(17 Posts)
Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 18:28:31

leading to two questions really:

1 - what did I do wrong?

2 - what can I serve it with to stop ds shrivelling inro a prune before my eyes while he eats it?

TrinityRhino Tue 20-Feb-07 18:29:43

rofl sorry no help but your post made me laugh

TrinityRhino Tue 20-Feb-07 18:33:14

where are all the lentil bakers??

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 18:34:56

<<sniffs pathetically>>

<<waves home-baked lentil hankerchief in air in desperate hope of attracting expertise>>

FrannyandZooey Tue 20-Feb-07 18:36:15

<snort>

what was the recipe? Do you want a nice one?

TrinityRhino Tue 20-Feb-07 18:38:11

I would like to try and make a lentil bake, can I have the nice recipe too please??

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 18:42:23

Franny!!!! A gen- u- wine lentil guru!
um...it was basically lentils, onion and/or red pepper and cheese...is that a 'bad one'? [anxious grin]

FrannyandZooey Tue 20-Feb-07 18:45:19

I don't know, I have never made that

what was it cooked in, I mean was there stock and so on? Was it with mash or pastry (personally I would never do pastry because it is almost always too heavy and dry for me)

I have lots of shepherds pie type recipes with lentils, definitely not dry, would that be the sort of thing?

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 18:48:31

'cook 6oz lentils in 12 floz water for about 15 mins until pureed. Mix in 4oz grated chhes and 1 onion/red pepper chopped, herbs, salt, pepepr. Beat in one egg. Shove in bread tin, in oven for 45-50 mins until top is golden brown '

That was it. So simple...how did I balls it up?!

TrinityRhino Tue 20-Feb-07 18:49:27

this sounds like what you did, I'll look for other recipes

TrinityRhino Tue 20-Feb-07 18:50:33

this sounds nice

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 18:52:29

Yep...I did the riverford one...

Jessajam Tue 20-Feb-07 18:53:26

WTF is Shoyu? And is it the sort of thing I will buy at great expense, only to ever use a "dash" of, once?

FrannyandZooey Tue 20-Feb-07 18:53:42

Ohhhh...like a lentil roast?

You would need a gravy or tomato sauce with that I would think?

Am putting ds to bed, will return with lovely lentil recipes

FrannyandZooey Tue 20-Feb-07 21:00:11

Ok, lentil shepherds pie, this is Rose Elliot and is good in my book:

8 oz continental lentils
1 onion
1 clove garlic
1 stick celery
1 lge carrot
4 oz mushrooms
1 tsp herbs
1 tbsp tom puree

Soak lentils overnight then drain and rinse. Cover with cold water in a saucepan and simmer gently until tender. Drain. Fry all veg until tender then add lentils, herbs, tom puree, salt and pepper, put in oven topped with mash. Bake for 40 mins at 200 deg / GM 6

For lentil loaf I would just mix with lots of tasty veg such as mushrooms, peppers etc, just as you said, and then either add an egg or some cooked brown rice and stodge it altogether, poss with a stock cube dissolved in a few tbsp of water if it seemed dry. I would always use gravy or tomato sauce though - it is a dry type of thing.

Hope this is some use and sorry I misunderstood to begin with - just kept thinking of lentil pie instead of a bake / loaf thing

FrannyandZooey Tue 20-Feb-07 21:00:51

Jessajam shoyu is similar to soy sauce and you can substitute one for the other

Jessajam Wed 21-Feb-07 13:56:40

Thanks Franny. I have added these pearls of lentil-wisdom to my (small) recipe collection!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now