Talk

Advanced search

Recipes using stewed apples?

(14 Posts)
yaela123 Sat 31-Dec-16 11:30:42

A friend recently gave us a massive bag of cooking apples from their garden so we have made a big pot of stewed apples/apple compote. DCs love eating it by itself or just with ice cream but I think we all might well be bored of it plain by the end of the week.

Has anyone got any recipe ideas to use some in?

Hawkmoth Sat 31-Dec-16 11:32:49

Layer with pancakes, top with brown sugar and oven for about twenty minutes.

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 11:33:14

crumble?
pie?

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 11:33:24

have you put it in freezer?

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 11:33:42

have it with sausages/pork?

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 11:33:54

turnover?

oldlaundbooth Sat 31-Dec-16 11:33:59

It's good in smoothies, just add a dollop to the fruit and then blend . You can also substitute it for butter in cake recipes, I usually go half and half butter and apple sauce.

DH eats it on toast. You can use it as a base for crumble etc.

Also with roast pork.

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 11:34:01

strudel?

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 11:34:42

i would add dried fruit, raisins, sultanas, dates to it and make a strudel or crumble

Artandco Sat 31-Dec-16 11:35:18

With cinnamon ontop of porridge. You can freeze in small portions and just take a few days worth out at a time

yaela123 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:51:44

I obviously underestimated my kids' appetites! Between the 6 of them, they've managed to devour almost half of it already!

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 18:15:27

ha ha grin
a whole ton of apples, once pureed, or stewed, doesnt last as long as you think it will <<voice of experience>>

knackeredpelvicfloor Sat 31-Dec-16 19:55:51

I would sterilise a few jars and put it in those and keep it. It should keep for a while, esp if there is sugar added. It is also lovely spooned over musli or just with plain yoghurt.

I got a massive bucket of windfall apples this year which were not pretty enough for baking with so I made them into Christmas spiced apple jelly and it was really delicious and everyone loves it (and easy to make because I am a bit of a lazy git).

Allalonenow Sat 31-Dec-16 20:01:49

Eve's pudding, a real favourite here.
Apple snow, or swirled into vanilla yoghurt, layered with crushed ginger biscuits.
Apple and blackberry tart.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now