Talk

Advanced search

Curry Buffet?

(14 Posts)
PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Fri 30-Dec-16 08:21:55

Good morning!

I'm spending NYE with friends, and the plan is for them to provide the house/booze and we are providing the food. We've decided on a curry buffet.

What would you serve? We have one egg allergy, and the food needs to be transported in pans for about 15 miles.

There are four adults, two teens, a 9yo and a 5yo. I'm a very good cook. I was thinking of a hot curry, medium curry and mild curry, but have no idea about sides etc.

Any ideas?

Strawclutching Fri 30-Dec-16 08:27:37

I'd go for a vindaloo, a korma, a spinach dhal. Then rice, onion bhajis, poppidoms and dips and naans.

DoItTooJulia Fri 30-Dec-16 08:30:20

If you're a confident cook have you considered making pani puri? My favourite snack-I can post a recipe from my new cook book if you like?

But samosa, pakora, chutney, raita, onion salad, breads and poppadoms are awesome.

I LOVE curry!

Hoppinggreen Fri 30-Dec-16 08:32:57

How about a chickpea salad?
You can make it with or without yoghurt depending on whether you prefer a creamy one.
It's basically a tin of chickpeas with onion, spices, cucumber and diced tomatoes

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Fri 30-Dec-16 08:43:04

DoIt a recipe would be great!

Actually, a vindaloo would be great too...because I get to show off in front of people twice my size. 😁 DH and my DB once got through a whole tub of yoghurt trying to cool down a vindaloo that I could eat as if it was stew...😁😁

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Fri 30-Dec-16 08:44:03

LOVE the idea of chickpea salad too. Thank you!

DoItTooJulia Fri 30-Dec-16 10:07:34

Here's the text, I will do the photo in a sec!

Vixxfacee Fri 30-Dec-16 10:09:03

Samosas
Roti
Veg curry
Tandoori chicken
Lamb chops
Saag paneer
Vegetable rice
Salad

Pestilence13610 Fri 30-Dec-16 10:12:03

Cook the rice when you get there.
Make the curries ahead, transport cold and reheat. Yes it takes a little bit of time, but much better for food hygiene.

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Fri 30-Dec-16 10:19:42

Pestilence I agree- that was our plan.

Thank you so much!

heyjude12 Fri 30-Dec-16 23:30:52

Doit that looks fantastic. Which cookbook did you get the recipe from ?

DoItTooJulia Sat 31-Dec-16 17:26:15

I only just realised that the picture didn't load. I'll re do it.

It's called Vegan Street Food-by Jackie who won Masterchef a few years ago. It's brilliant actually!

kateandme Sat 31-Dec-16 19:00:23

I'm sure you thought of it but for transporting you could easily make the dishes and pack in containers ala curry house style and then put them into lovely dishes once you get there.
we love the onion,tomato mint salad they do.
home made naans are simple and lovely.same with rotis
tandoori kebabs.
is anyone doing desert. you could do a mango lassi or sorbet maybe.

PopGoesTheFuckingWeasel Sun 01-Jan-17 22:07:11

THE most boring update ever...but I can't stand threads where the OP doesn't update...so...

Last night was a blast. We had vindaloo, korma and Rogan josh, with chickpea salad, roti, rice, samosas and bhajiis (sp?). Copious amounts of wine, and me, DH and my best friend all smoked our last ever cigarettes! Here's to 2017 😁

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now