Talk

Advanced search

What do you serve on the last day of the year?

(10 Posts)
DXBMermaid Fri 30-Dec-16 05:38:41

Looking for inspiration! We're having a few friends over so there will be 11 adults and a few children. Traditionally for me being Dutch it's all about oliebollen (delicious fried doughnuts filled with rum soaked raisins) but it's a lot of work making them so have decided to give it a miss this year. What should I serve? Buffet food rather then sit down meal although we are a causal enough group to just have a big sharing dish.

DXBMermaid Fri 30-Dec-16 07:10:49

Bumping this, as I really don't know what to serve my friends. Have hosted so many events in the last weeks that I'm out of fresh ideas.

confusedandemployed Fri 30-Dec-16 07:13:19

Haggis! And I'm not even Scottish!

lovelearning Fri 30-Dec-16 07:22:46

DXBMermaid,

How about tacos?

www.todaysparent.com/recipes/buffet-party-taco-bar/

pklme Fri 30-Dec-16 07:26:19

Pulled pork, creamed corn, sweet potato mash?

A buffet of all the christmas leftovers that my friends bring theirs to as well, with oven nibbles like onion rings, wedges, sausage rolls, canapés.

DXBMermaid Fri 30-Dec-16 07:47:47

I forgot to add no pork, as one of the families joining us are muslim. They would never object to us having pork, but I would feel bad having to tell them you can't have this and this dish.

Tacos sounds nice, but would be a bit worried if they would stay fresh. Unless I did like a taco buffet so people can stuff them theirselves.

Faz2015 Fri 30-Dec-16 07:52:02

It's the first New Years gathering in doing since having kids( 6&2).. I'll have adults and kids so I'm doing chicken wings, pizza, spring rolls, nachos, salad, and onion rings... thought extra food will keep the kids happily occupied... enjoy!!

BroomstickOfLove Fri 30-Dec-16 07:59:28

We always make vast quantities of kedgeree, and then reheat the leftovers for the best hungover New Year's Day brunch ever.

lovelearning Fri 30-Dec-16 08:19:02

a taco buffet so people can stuff them theirselves

Eet smakelijk!

fsmile

DXBMermaid Fri 30-Dec-16 16:06:27

Thanks for the replies.

A taco buffet it will be. There will be beef chilli, chicken, lettuce tomatoes, peppers, corn, salsa, cheese, guacamole, crème fraiche and tacos, wraps and nachos.

(My personal preference is to make a nice mix with plenty of crème fraiche and scoop it up with nachos rather then eat out of a taco.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now