Talk

Advanced search

Help me use these leeks!

(18 Posts)
Howaboutthisone Thu 29-Dec-16 08:46:15

I bought a load of leeks to make Jamie's turkey and leek pie. We had a bit of an issue with our turkey so there's no turkey pie now. Any suggestions for something to do to use these leeks up? Or a way of prepping and freezing them for future use?
Thanks!

treaclesoda Thu 29-Dec-16 08:48:15

I've just chopped leeks and frozen them in freezer bags before, it worked ok. Cooked them from frozen when I needed them. I just made sure to cook them first to make all the water evaporate, then took them out of the pan, cooked whatever else I was cooking, then added them back in. Sounds like a bit of a pain I suppose, but it only took a couple of minutes extra.

ItsNotUnusualToBe Thu 29-Dec-16 08:49:48

I saw your thread title and instantly thought 'Jamie Oliver's leek and turkey pie'.

I recommend you buy more turkey! grin

I forgot to buy leeks and now all the turkey had been eaten so I will be buying BOTH today!

Wheresthattomoibabber Thu 29-Dec-16 08:50:20

Turn them into cheesy leeks and freeze. Then have them with every roast dinner or add bacon and have with pasta. I could live off cheesy leeks.

bluechameleon Thu 29-Dec-16 08:50:34

Leeks in cheese saice are yummy. Or buy some chicken and make the pie anyway? It sounds delicious.

Howaboutthisone Thu 29-Dec-16 08:53:23

Maybe I can do a combination of all of these. I have so many leeks- online ordering error! I always do this with leeks and ginger!
Do you have a recipe for yummy cheesy leeks please?
I'll get sone chicken in for a version of the pie. And will chop up some to freeze too!
Thank you!

Doje Thu 29-Dec-16 08:56:04

Not sure if you have these ingredients, but we:-
Fry a bit of bacon
Add Leeks and cook till soft
Add about half a block of grated cheese (Lancashire works well, imagine Wensleydale would too) and a large dollop of creme fraiche
Spread on sheet of ready made rolled puff pastry
Egg wash the edges (optional!)
Cook at 180° for 30 mins approx.

bookbook Thu 29-Dec-16 09:58:19

I do Delias leeks and eggs gratin. Lovely with a jacket potato
Basically - saute thin sliced leeks until soft. Layer into a baking dish. Hard boil eggs, ( 1 per serving) then cut in half- lay on top of leeks cut side down . Make a thick cheese sauce, pour over leeks and eggs . Grill or hot oven to brown, make piping hot

Howaboutthisone Thu 29-Dec-16 10:27:46

Two more fantastic ideas! Thank you flowers

Chewbecca Thu 29-Dec-16 10:30:27

I like leeks with smoked salmon, cream & pasta. We're having that this week with leftover Christmas salmon & cream but I'd happily buy them specially.

MoreThanUs Thu 29-Dec-16 10:30:37

Leek and potato soup - great basic recipe on BBC food website. I leave out t cream. Just chop up leeks, a few potatoes and an onion - soften. Add stock, cook until tender then blitz. I made double quantities the other day and froze half in individual helpings.

LegoCaltrops Thu 29-Dec-16 10:33:07

Leek & mushroom risotto
Layer them into Potatoes Dauphinoise
Bake gently in garlic butter in a covered dish & eat as a side vegetable

YesThisIsMe Thu 29-Dec-16 10:38:32

Cook slowly with mushrooms in butter chopped very small into a mushroom/leek duxelles. Freeze in large portions and defrost as required to make a great base for soups, chicken casseroles, cream sauces for pork chops, side dishes for steak, or add to beaten egg in a ready made pastry case to make instant quiches for visiting vegetarians.

Artesia Fri 30-Dec-16 08:55:06

Wrap them in ham, and cover in a mix of creme fraiche, whole grain mustard and grated cheddar cheese. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top, bake in the oven til bubbly and crusty on top, and eat with roasted baby tomatoes and loads of crusty bread salad

megletthesecond Fri 30-Dec-16 09:02:39

They slice and freeze well.

Cheesy leek and pasta bake uses a lot up.

Gasp0deTheW0nderD0g Fri 30-Dec-16 09:07:08

Leeks are wonderful and always work well with bacon, potato, mushrooms, creamy sauces, eggs or or cheese as well as most kinds of meat or fish. Excellent vegetable accompaniment but also good as the main element in a non-meaty dish, e.g. macaroni cheese or quiche.

I particularly like leek and potato soup. I often make that seasoned with nutmeg and add a big bag of spinach leaves when the leek and potato mix is cooked. The spinach leaves wilt down immediately in the hot soup and are cooked in seconds. Then blend till smooth and add some lemon juice. Glorious bright green colour.

Howaboutthisone Fri 30-Dec-16 10:21:50

I'm now thinking I might need to buy even more leeks when I'm done with these to try out some of these lovely recipes!

Cheeseandbeansontoast Mon 02-Jan-17 18:36:57

Leek and potato soup?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now