Talk

Advanced search

Guardian recipe for beef stew way to peppery to eat - suggestions please?

(8 Posts)
notquitewhatIhadplanned Wed 28-Dec-16 23:39:07

Cooked this today ready for parents coming for lunch tomorrow: www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2016/dec/27/rachel-roddys-tuscan-beef-stew-recipe#comment-90153942
SO peppery that dh and I couldn't speak after trying it earlier!! Any suggestions to rescue it? Would adding yogurt work do u think? Or tinned toms? TIA

Blondie1984 Thu 29-Dec-16 01:25:53

Try adding cream - either normal or sour and it will give you a stroganoff type dish - but equally you could add tinned tomatoes or passata

notquitewhatIhadplanned Thu 29-Dec-16 09:28:35

Thanks, will try

allthekingsshoes Thu 29-Dec-16 09:32:24

Reheat with potatoes in? Works for saltiness .

bookbook Thu 29-Dec-16 10:08:51

Its such a pain - I notice some of the reviews underneath say ots very peppery too.
Could mayonnaise work? - thats what I often do for too hot curries, but add after reheating so it doesn't curdle.

MiladyThesaurus Thu 29-Dec-16 10:14:43

Adding anything that increases the volume of sauce will help because there'll be less pepper for each ml of sauce than before.

antimatter Thu 29-Dec-16 13:34:53

You could add a couple of cans of red kidney beans and some smoked paprika. And I would TBH chop and fry few onions as well and add them together with beans to balance out spiciness.
I think people who write recipes like that should realise that there are many varieties of black pepper! Each with different flavour.
www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/taste-test-black-pepper-what-are-differences-in-varieties.html

notquitewhatIhadplanned Thu 29-Dec-16 23:21:44

Thanks V much everyone, I took out all the meat and heated it up in some chopped toms, beef stock and even more wine(!). Was delicious in the end. Yes think it must have been a very spicy lot of black pepper. Upside is I have a substantial quantity of some very well seasoned stock for the freezer grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now