Talk

Advanced search

Veganuary 2017

(30 Posts)
Breadandwine Wed 28-Dec-16 13:15:06

Anyone up for this?

I did think of continuing last year's thread, there is some good stuff on there, but thought I'd link to it instead.

And Here's a Veganuary link to start you off. smile

Breadandwine Wed 28-Dec-16 14:26:29

Here's the more specific #Veganuary link I should have included.

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 28-Dec-16 14:35:43

Thanks. I'd forgotten this was a thing but think I'll give it a go. Did 4 weeks recently and felt so much better of it.

ALittleMop Thu 29-Dec-16 12:38:17

I've signed up.
I've had a few vegan spells before (2 years longest). Want to do it again and stick this time. I've managed to cut out eggs completely but still on the cheese at the moment. Want to cut it out forever. Can't cope with factory farming.

LadyMaryofDownt0n Thu 29-Dec-16 12:47:52

Thanks I've Signed up, done my shop & looking forward to getting started. Shouldn't be to hard as we've replaced almost everything with vegan alternatives.

Breadandwine Thu 29-Dec-16 15:45:51

For any Twitter followers:

"Considering being a part of #veganuary in 2017? Take part in #veganrecipehour! 8-9pm (uk time) each Thursday. #vegan"

Generally this takes the form of recipes around a specific subject;

There's also #veganhour between 7-8pm every Tuesday, which is more general chat, tips and hints, etc.

For insomniacs, there's #veganfoodchat, between 1-2am on Monday mornings and Thursday mornings. The hosts are based in New York, which explains the timing. Sometimes specific food based or just general chit chat and sharing.

All the above are great #vegan communities! smile

There are also Veganuary Facebook pages, but I'm not really into Facebook.

OnyK Thu 29-Dec-16 20:19:00

Going to give it a go (again) with dd, but can't promise that we'll last the month!
I don't eat eggs or drink milk, but I do love a bit of cheese. If anyone finds a cheese alternative which tastes good, please let me know.

sweetkitty Thu 29-Dec-16 20:21:26

I was vegan for 3 months 2 years ago but fell off the wagon back to veggie, going to start again having a 3 day fruit and veg only detox as I'm feeling so fat and bloated just now.

Breadandwine Sat 31-Dec-16 11:47:02

Here's The Vegan Society's advice on How To Go Vegan, for those starting out.

longdiling Sat 31-Dec-16 14:04:29

I'm going to give it a whirl! I've signed up and donated. I've been trying with the idea for ages and I'm not a big dairy/meat eater so I'm hoping it won't be too hard. Thanks for the links!

Breadandwine Sun 01-Jan-17 17:55:57

No probs! smile

So far, 40,000 people have signed up to #veganuary!

The #veganuary Twitter feed is absolutely buzzing - can't keep up! Loads of advice, tips, recipes on there, well worth a look!

longdiling Sun 01-Jan-17 19:36:09

Yes the Facebook group is pretty much taking over my newsfeed! Day one has been easy. The real test will come on Tuesday when I'm back at work and pushed for time I reckon.

Breadandwine Mon 02-Jan-17 00:38:38

Preparation's the key, no doubt about it. Here, from my blog, are a few more ideas for simple - but tasty - meals.

longdiling Mon 02-Jan-17 10:45:18

Ooh chocolate cake and trifle!

LadyMaryofDownt0n Tue 03-Jan-17 20:55:42

Tesco have a great new range in, I went shopping today & noticed a whole isle dedicated to vegan products! This really is a first for me because this is only catching on in Northern Ireland.

So far so good for me. I am not trying replacement products I just don't fancy Quorn, I dint really understand what's the range is made from?!

Breadandwine Wed 04-Jan-17 11:30:54

All the supermarkets are now making an effort - Sainsbury's have introduced a range of 7 vegan cheeses!

Not all Quorn is vegan - yet! It's made out of some sot of fungi, I understand. When I was veggie I used to like their mince and they made a roast chicken substitute you could slice. If I found a vegan version of that, I'd definitely try it.

But, like you, in the main, I avoid substitutes and cook most of my food from scratch. Having said that, in my freezer ATM are a packet of Fry's sausages (been there for ages) and some Fry's polony - which I have to hide from my SIL when he visits! grin

longdiling Wed 04-Jan-17 12:54:04

I've eaten quite a lot of soy/quorn products in the last few days and I think it's upset my tummy. I'm going to be cooking veg meals from now on as much as possible.

Breadandwine Wed 04-Jan-17 14:12:29

Oh dear! Yes, I've seen that before with Quorn with a small minority of people.

Best avoid.

This is really tasty.

OnyK Wed 04-Jan-17 18:39:32

Just found this page on vegan snacks. Not exactly health foods I know, but might be useful for some of you.

longdiling Wed 04-Jan-17 21:48:31

Onyk, I'm trying to stay away from all that in the hope I actually lose weight along the way grin

I actually really love veggies so I've been going through my veggie cookbooks to find suitable stuff

Breadandwine Wed 04-Jan-17 21:59:45

I'm with londiling, it would be too easy to let yourself go. Lidl is especially dangerous at Xmas and Easter for that sort of thing. But thanks, anyway.

Lots of biscuits are vegan - but the great majority use palm oil. Not good.

Badgerbird Wed 04-Jan-17 22:06:33

If any of you have time this weekend check out vegan life live 2 day event at Alexandra palace http://www.veganlifelive.com/london/faqs-london/

onyk I like the Tescos cheese. Still prefer to drizzle tahini then sprinkle nutritional yeast flakes on top of pizza though instead of fake cheese. Just pop it back in oven till it's bubbling.... mmmmmm..... yum

Breadandwine Thu 05-Jan-17 00:43:18

Hi Badger, thanks for that, wish I was closer.

Can I ask, how do you get your tahini to drizzle? Mine is as solid as peanut butter - with a little liquid on top.

Badgerbird Thu 05-Jan-17 11:41:40

bread I tend to use the Lebanese one rather than health food shop one as I find that too thick. You can spoon into a cup/small bowl and mix with a bit of water to thin it out a bit. I love tahini!! Great source of calcium too smile

LauraMipsum Thu 05-Jan-17 13:04:38

bread if you mix tahini with unsweetened soy yoghurt (and lemon juice and ras-el-hanout if you're feeling fancy) you get a lovely drizzle-able creamy consistency.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now