Talk

Advanced search

Anyone get Fresh India for Christmas?

(82 Posts)
CaptainWarbeck Mon 26-Dec-16 09:49:51

I know it's been done by cookery club (and I'm going back to reread those threads!) but wondered if there was anyone new with a copy who wanted to chat through some of the recipes, or any old hands who're up for sharing the recipes they make regularly from it.

I read through it on Christmas day and love it already, lots of yummy looking things and lots made with mostly store cupboard ingredients.

Boxing Day dinner for us (in a different time zone) was the pumpkin, bean and coconut curry on p169 and it was blooming delicious which bodes well for the rest of the book. Creamy with a kick of chilli and the flavour of the mustard seeds, really good.

Just a thread to sing its praises really!

sepsisandAKI Mon 26-Dec-16 22:30:16

fgrin
Yes I did. Love looking through it, the recipes look relatively easy too. Will have to find somewhere to buy the different types of pulses though. The recipe you made sounds delicious. I can't decide which one to make first!

Cookingongas Wed 28-Dec-16 08:58:09

If you read the cookbook threads you will come across me saying this x 100, but the paratha recipe is the single most impressive Indian bread you will ever make. I can't countenance an Indian meal without them now and have many stored in the freezer for emergencies. They ARE a faff to make but so very worth it.

CaptainWarbeck Wed 28-Dec-16 10:11:29

I will try the paratha cooking - I think you put a pic up when the club did this book!

Also keen to try her daily dosa recipe as I've tried dosas before and failed miserably at them. I have rice flour coming in the food shop tomorrow especially.

CaptainWarbeck Wed 28-Dec-16 10:11:53

Sepsis have you made anything from it yet? Any recommendations?

Lovepancakes Wed 28-Dec-16 19:17:20

I hadn't heard of it but looked it up and so keen for a copy now. It sounds just my cup of tea

HuevosRancheros Wed 28-Dec-16 19:45:50

Me! ME! Meeeee!!!
I got it!

Desperate to try her parathas after Cooking raved about them before 😊
Hoping to sit down with it tonight and put sticky labels on my must-make recipes, just like I did with Made in India

Any other cookbooks for Christmas, anyone? smile

CaptainWarbeck Thu 29-Dec-16 01:24:20

Yes sticky labels huevos that's what I need! I keep going 'Oh there's LOADS of things I want to make in there' and then promptly forgetting them!

MarjorySunshineDust Thu 29-Dec-16 08:52:05

I got a copy too, cannot wait to make something! We have people over tomorrow and I really want to try out a recipe or two, all looks wonderful.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 29-Dec-16 15:27:51

Sounds lovely? Is it veggie?

unweavedrainbow Thu 29-Dec-16 15:37:11

I bought myself a copy just before christmas. I haven't used it yet but it looks great smile Yes, it's veggie which is great for us. Veggie curries can be tricky to make exciting.

HuevosRancheros Thu 29-Dec-16 18:44:32

Yes Remus, totally veggie smile
And not overladen with tomatoes either wink

HuevosRancheros Thu 29-Dec-16 20:11:15

Quite fancy the paneer mango skewers, seem to think they were recommended on the cookery book club thread (by Cooking, again, maybe?)

I also have Veggiestan, which I got last Christmas, and Plenty More (Christmas before that) which are shamefully underused, so am keen to hear of any must makes from either of them smile

OnyK Thu 29-Dec-16 20:15:14

I was going to ask for it for Christmas, but forgot! Is it worth buying? Don't think I'd bother making my own parathas after finding out that I can buy them (uncooked, frozen), from Asda.

Cookingongas Thu 29-Dec-16 20:57:31

Huevos - it was me who recommended the mango paneer skewers( I'm far too enthusiastic on cooking threads blush) , they make a great lunch. With the hilltop salad.

sepsisandAKI Thu 29-Dec-16 21:36:35

I've not cooked anything yet captain. Plan is to get all Christmas food out of the way then start in the new year. I like the sound of the skewers too.

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Thu 29-Dec-16 21:49:38

Hurray to not too many tomatoes. It's currently a tenner on Amazon, so I've just bought it. Looking forward to having a good browse!

CaptainWarbeck Fri 30-Dec-16 04:07:54

Onyk I think it's definitely worth buying. It's one of the first books I've read in a while where I've wanted to get up there and then and make half the book. Plus being veggie means I can eat everything in it, yay!

I just made the daily dosa and filled it with the spinach and chickpea curry. Dosa was good. I needed to thin the batter a little with water but got the hang of them by the third dosa or so and they came out really nice. Worth getting chickpea flour for because they have a nice nutty taste.

The chickpea and spinach curry was delicious. I like her spicing, and her description is good because you think the spinach is never going to wilt and fold in and then all of a sudden you wish you had put more spinach in. Really good.

I probably really unauthentically filled them, rolled them up and put in a warm oven with grated cheese on the top like enchiladas blushgrin

HuevosRancheros Fri 30-Dec-16 08:18:08

Good to hear about the dosa Captain - I fancy making those, but was worried they would be too faffy... like the sound of the coconut potatoes she pairs it up with too.

Cooking I was always overenthusiastic on the cookery threads too grin
I got lost with the name changes after the hacking thing... was it you who drove quite a distance to buy pink grapefruit to make margheritas? smile

CaptainWarbeck Fri 30-Dec-16 10:18:13

I thought they might be faffy too huevos but it was really just flours and water in a bowl whisked up (it goes nice and thick) and then ladle out just like regular pancake batter.

When you get them nice and thin the little bubbles pop up all over and look quite authentic smile wish I'd taken a picture now but we've eaten them all!

RemusLupinsChristmasMovie Fri 30-Dec-16 11:20:44

Dosas are one of my very favourite things. Only made them once (not from this book) and they were a bit faffy to make, but tasted so good!

OnyK Fri 30-Dec-16 12:20:47

Thanks Captain I love dosas and have failed miserably at making them before. I have chickpea flour in my cupboard atm, so just need the book now.

Cookingongas Fri 30-Dec-16 13:16:40

Not grapefruit- blood oranges wink

It's now an annual trip blush

HuevosRancheros Fri 30-Dec-16 14:06:02

I knew pink grapefruit was wrong as I typed it, but couldn't remember what the right thing was!

There was someone on the thread that bought the book just because of the margherita recipe, iirc grin

OnyK Fri 30-Dec-16 21:07:11

I've ordered it from Amazon. Very annoying that it was £9.99 so didn't qualify for free delivery. Had to find another book to make it worth my while, which I'm sure is their ploy to get people to spend more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now