Talk

Advanced search

pavlova help!!

(8 Posts)
silkysausage Sat 24-Dec-16 08:33:00

I have tried making pavlova twice now and each time it has turned brown within minutes of being put in the oven. The meringue itself is lovely tasting but I want it to be WHITE!! Does anyone have an idea why this is happening? I have been using Mary Berrys Christmas wreath pavlova recipe. Any tips/recipes would be appreciated as I only have one more chance at this...

Swifey Sat 24-Dec-16 08:45:46

Your oven must be too hot, what temperature are you cooking it at?

hussherbye Sat 24-Dec-16 08:47:47

I agree too hot oven, or does it have a top heat element? Maybe move it down the oven?

silkysausage Sat 24-Dec-16 08:48:44

The recipe says 160 and then turn down to 140 when putting the meringue in. I did wonder if this was the problem but I don't have a thermometer to check if the oven temp is actually right. I also have a fan oven but was reluctant to use that as I normally use the traditional/electric oven for baking. Do you think using the fan oven instead might help?

hussherbye Sat 24-Dec-16 08:55:32

Temps sound ok but I would definitely use the fan setting

HamletsSister Sat 24-Dec-16 09:39:09

100 degrees for an hour. Then switch off oven and leave meringue in oven overnight. White, delicious.

Delia's rules! Work every time.

weaselwords Sat 24-Dec-16 09:41:55

They should be a bit beige/brown or you don't get the crisp outside and chewy mallow inside. If it's going brown brown, your oven is on the hot side so turn it down 10 degrees for the next one. I'm pavlova making today too fgrin

silkysausage Sat 24-Dec-16 14:49:22

Thanks for replies! I have mixed it up again and put into the fan oven at 100. It is still white at the moment so fingers crossed! I think the thermostat may be a bit dodgy on the non fan oven! Wish me lucksmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now