Talk

Advanced search

WHat should I do with evaporated milk?

(12 Posts)
5000candlesinthewind Fri 23-Dec-16 11:38:39

Dh helpfully opened a tin of the stuff and used a few tablespoons, declared he didn't need the rest!
Apart from tipping it over his head, what can I do with it? Nothing too faffy

Optimist1 Fri 23-Dec-16 11:53:32

Use it in coffee instead of milk.
Make a frothy milk jelly - add the milk to the required amount of water to make the total the instructions advise then whisk until its all foamy. Leave to set as usual.

LeadPipe Fri 23-Dec-16 11:56:00

Whatever you do, don't use it in Macaroni and cheese recipe - that's what I did with my last partial tin, found a recipe on the internet for baked Mac n Cheese with evaporated milk it was revolting.

Can't you make fudge with it?

Hermano Fri 23-Dec-16 11:58:13

Whisk until frothy then freeze for a surprisingly nice ice cream! Can add vanilla, cocoa powder, bit of honey or maple syrup (or sugar).
Or whisk until frothy and use aas a dessert topping - like whipped cream.

I was brought up on whisked evap milk

Chopchopbusybusy Fri 23-Dec-16 12:51:43

Use it in coffe or pour over fruit salad. Preferably fruit cocktail from a tin. It was the law in the 70s. DH still loves tinned fruit with evaporated milk.

NotCitrus Fri 23-Dec-16 12:55:07

Use it in porridge or on your Christmas pudding!

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Fri 23-Dec-16 12:55:09

i love it in coffee

you could make tablet....add a kilo of sugar, and a slice of butter as wide as your finger, heat gently stirring all the time until the sugar is melted, then boil it gently for about 20 minutes, beat like crazy for about 5-10 mins until it is that beautiful satin coffee colour and tip it into a lined tin. Mark into squares before it sets completely ...eat the lot, rot all your teeth and ruin your waistline.

Or Gypsy tart....that's nice too.

user1471449040 Fri 23-Dec-16 13:14:30

Make a baked custard with it like pumpkin pie filling (use it to substitute for cream: evaporated milk and cream have less water than milk)

BikeRunSki Fri 23-Dec-16 13:15:40

In, or on, jelly

NannyR Fri 23-Dec-16 13:23:44

As the PP said, on jelly or my mum used to make a special thing for birthday parties where she replaced some of the water in the jelly with evaporated milk and whisked it - as it set it became a kind of bubbly mousse.

TartYvette Fri 23-Dec-16 13:25:01

Make fudge!!!!

topaz22 Fri 23-Dec-16 14:06:15

fudge grin i did it last week it's delicious!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now