Talk

Advanced search

Pate - best supermarket smooth pate?

(12 Posts)
AnnaForbes Thu 22-Dec-16 09:36:16

I want to buy pate for guests on Christmas day. I don't eat the stuff myself so no idea what is a 'good' one - preferably smooth Brussels pate. I have usual supermarkets local to me, can anyone recommend a good pate please?

MrsJayy Thu 22-Dec-16 09:39:00

Morrisons own is lovely it comes in a slab 2Tesco which i like too comes in a tub so not great for serving to guests

AnnaForbes Thu 22-Dec-16 09:42:48

Morrisons is only supermarket not near me. sad . How would you serve pate? I'm clueless. If it's a slab, do you just slice it and put a slice in a plate with toast?

MrsJayy Thu 22-Dec-16 09:46:22

Yeah slice it any Brussels pate though would be fine though supermarket delicounter is your friend if you are unsure

AnnaForbes Thu 22-Dec-16 10:01:04

Thanks. Do you garnish it? Is butter needed? Is shop bought melba toast OK or is toasted ciabatta nicer? TIA

PhilODox Thu 22-Dec-16 10:03:58

Sainsburys. I've tried most Brussels pate from most supermarkets, and Sainsburys' is the best.
It's the one sold by weight at the deli counter, so you'll need to buy it on the day, or day before.

PhilODox Thu 22-Dec-16 10:04:24

Ha- ok, day before in your case!

gaggiagirl Thu 22-Dec-16 10:05:08

No butter needed. I would serve any of the breads you mentioned, a slice of Pâte, salad leaves and a spoon full of chutney or onion marmalade on the side.

AnnaForbes Thu 22-Dec-16 10:07:11

That's sounds lovely, I'm tempted to try some myself. I've a sainsbury near by so will call in on Christmas eve for deli pate. Thanks.

Allalonenow Thu 22-Dec-16 10:07:28

Make your own toast.
Sainsbury's do some nice smooth pâté, duck with Madeira and similar, easy to serve as in a slab.
I sometimes put a bit of salad garnish when serving.

foodiemama26 Thu 22-Dec-16 23:17:03

m and s are doing some really nice ones that are already in presentation dishes and some layered terrine style ones that are really nice. I'm serving pate with bread rolls and bitesize crostini from sainsburys, salad leaves with balsamic glaze and chutneys in the middle to pick and choose at. I'm putting butter on the table as my grandad would be too shocked to have bread without butter!

Allalonenow Thu 22-Dec-16 23:50:21

I like butter with pâté too, and toasted brioche is fab with smooth pâté.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now