Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Alternative to Roast on Xmas day

(16 Posts)
GreenGoblin0 Tue 20-Dec-16 18:41:37

We're having roast turkey and all trimmings on Xmas eve rather than Xmas day as my DSs are not here all day on Xmas day (going to their DMs in early pm) and we want them to have proper Xmas dinner at home with us hence doing it Xmas eve instead.

Want to have a special dinner for myself DP and 4yo DD on Xmas day. if it was just DP and I there are loads of things we could do but DD a bit fussy at moment and really have no inspiration for something we will all enjoy that fits the occasion. We will be having leftover buffet lunch so don't necessarily want to use leftover turkey for dinner too (although could do if necessary)

thanks in advance for any suggestions!

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 20-Dec-16 20:19:28

Will DD eat fish? A fish dish would be my first choice.

GreenGoblin0 Tue 20-Dec-16 21:29:14

Yes this was my first thought. she does eat fish and chips and tuna or salmon if mixed into a sauce but not sure she would go for a fancier fish dish DP and I would prob go for sea bass curry on our own but don't think she would eat that.
any suggestions?

MilkRunningOutAgain Tue 20-Dec-16 21:58:28

Fish pie, jazzed up with posh fish and prawns, sweet potato topping
Fish cakes

Why not grill a salmon side? Serve with hollandaise, new pots and salad?

Pantah630 Tue 20-Dec-16 22:02:53

Salmon wellington is delicious and easy.

Pantah630 Tue 20-Dec-16 22:05:19

We made this for Mothers Day, went down a treat with all, including fish avoiding DS1

AtleastitsnotMonday Tue 20-Dec-16 22:11:20

Maybe a luxury fiscake or something like these Thai red fishcakes.
Or cook sea bass and make a toasted crumb in the over to sprinkle over dd's to make it look a bit more familiar!

GreenGoblin0 Wed 21-Dec-16 00:15:46

thanks for the suggestions. pantah your link didn't work. what was the dish.

wobblywonderwoman Wed 21-Dec-16 00:30:59

When we cook a special meal it is either fillet steak or duck breasts - maybe your dd is not really into that but could make a little pasta dish

Pantah630 Wed 21-Dec-16 11:30:23

It was Nigel Slaters Salmon Wellington, still available on google but not direct through BBC food anymore sorry sad

ShowMeTheElf Wed 21-Dec-16 11:33:16

pantahs link

Mondrian Wed 21-Dec-16 11:38:18

I did a roast duck with pomegranate & crushed walnut jus recipe last year (not for xmas) which was really nice & also seasonal - sprinkle of pomegranate on top gave it . I found the recipe in an old Harrods cookbook so can look up & post if you like. I am sure it will also work for Chicken or (leftover) Turkey!

Oven baked red snapper or Cod with or without a sauce would work too.

IHaveBrilloHair Wed 21-Dec-16 11:41:24

I made Delias salmon coulibiac one year and it was delicious, looks great too

sashh Wed 21-Dec-16 12:01:47

I'd do a picnic in front of a nice film on TV.

You could make ahead and freeze the main bits. Thai fishcakes, mini meatballs, pate, crusty bread. You could even add fish fingers for dd.

Weedsnseeds1 Wed 21-Dec-16 12:21:56

Pheasant or grouse and just tell her it's chicken?

GreenGoblin0 Wed 21-Dec-16 20:24:38

thanks all. some good suggestions to think about!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now