Talk

Advanced search

Cheap Fish Recipes

(6 Posts)
80sWaistcoat Mon 19-Dec-16 11:03:46

Want to start eating more fish - but find it quite expensive. Any ideas for reasonably priced fish recipes?

I'm a reasonable cook - but my fish recipes are:

smoked mackerel and salad
Salmon fillet stirfry
Salmon fillet baked in foil
Smoked haddock and mash (love smoked haddock)
Breaded fish and chips

everythingstaken123 Mon 19-Dec-16 12:21:26

Fish curry.
Fish pie.
Fishcakes.
Fish and chips.
Fish goujons.

ShowMeTheElf Mon 19-Dec-16 14:13:38

Kedgeree. It's mostly rice so super cheap: I make it regularly for Sunday breakfast and only need 2 or 3 smoked haddock fillets between 7 of us.....
Tuna pasta bake.
A classic fish pie with mash on the top can be very fish heavy and thus expensive but if you do it with sliced cooked potato in layers, cubed raw fish (mix of white fish and smoked) in between, then pour well seasoned beaten egg to fill in all the cracks and bake: it makes the fish go much further as the flavour gets carried by the egg through the whole thing. Crispy on the top, served in wedges with green veg. Yum!

HelloYellowMellow Mon 19-Dec-16 14:18:14

I buy frozen white fish fillets from Aldi which are cheap. I blend lots of coriander, lime, garlic and salt and use this as a marinade then pan fry. They are lovely made in to fish tacos with small wraps or taco shells and just add salad, guacamole etc. Or serve the fish on its own with rice.

AtleastitsnotMonday Mon 19-Dec-16 14:19:02

I'd recommend looking at frozen white fish fillets. Much cheaper and just as tasty as fresh. My go to quick fish dish is to mix a couple of tea spoons of curry paste with yoghurt and coat cod fillets. Leave to marinate if pos. then put fish on baking tray and spread a teaspoon of mango chutney over the top of each then bake for 15 mins in the oven.
I also use lots of tuna. Tuna pasta bake and tuna and spring onion fishcakes.

80sWaistcoat Mon 19-Dec-16 14:28:50

These are great. I like the curry ideas - my only attempt at a fish curry was inedible - but I should try it again!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now