Talk

Advanced search

Wanted - red cabbage advice

(17 Posts)
hesterton Sun 18-Dec-16 15:04:29

My red cabbage always goes a bit pale purple and loses its rich colour. Does anyone have a foolproof red cabbage recipe?

foodiefil Sun 18-Dec-16 15:57:58

If I'd seen this sooner I would have taken a pic for you but it's now in the freezer! Had a party last night for friends and I did braised red cabbage and it's always a nice deep purple.

I do layer of shredded red cabbage, some onions, some chopped Granny Smith apples, a tiny bit of cinnamon and garlic powder, seasoning and grated nutmeg then repeat until the casserole dish is full then dot with butter and pour over a bit of red wine vinegar. In the oven on low for a couple of hours. Good luck!

foodiemama26 Sun 18-Dec-16 16:17:06

I made the one from the Christmas good food magazine...red wine, lightbrown sugar, cider vinegar, cinnamon and butter. Definitely recommend it was very straight forward and tasted amazing! Just hoping it has frozen well!

Pestilence13610 Sun 18-Dec-16 16:21:37

Red cabbage is like universal indicator, add alkali and it goes a bit blue, light purple, add acid and it goes nice dark red. Use red wine and flavourings as above and add the salt near the end of cooking.

FunnyBird Sun 18-Dec-16 16:22:43

I think ours is a Good Housekeeping recipe.
Shred cabbage and 1 onions. Add 7 tbspns brown sugar, 7 tbspns of white wine vinegar and um ?2 oz butter. In the oven for 2-3 hours on low heat. Is lovely. I do mine in the pressure cooker though. Takes 30 minutes.

PinkSwimGoggles Sun 18-Dec-16 16:27:27

yep acidity is the key, you need some apple (I prefer small chunks of eating apple).
and ghee/clarified butter instead of butter to sweat some onions. add a teabag or muslin with some spices (cloves, cinnamon, star anise, black peppercorns)

HardcoreLadyType Sun 18-Dec-16 16:28:54

I use red cabbage, cranberries, a red onion, mixed spice, salt, pepper, a little brown sugar, a drizzle of red wine vinegar, and of olive oil. Toss it all together, and cook in the oven, covered for about 3 hours. It can be cooked in advance and heated up, to free up room in the oven.

foodiefil Sun 18-Dec-16 18:30:31

All delicious recipes here!

PollytheDolly Sun 18-Dec-16 18:33:56

Put vinegar in the water when boiling x

hesterton Sun 18-Dec-16 20:09:27

Thanks all! I will go with adding acidity.

Mondrian Mon 19-Dec-16 05:31:29

Won't have room in the oven but like the idea so thinking of using a Dutch oven (on hub) or slow cooker, anyone try it this way?

lovelearning Mon 19-Dec-16 07:20:47

Try Danish red cabbage.

Scroll down for the recipe kellskotthaircare.com/2011/12/20/a-traditional-danish-christmas-dinner/

hesterton Mon 19-Dec-16 07:35:10

The Danish one looks lovely.

Mondrian Mon 19-Dec-16 10:43:53

Thanks Love.

sjane03 Mon 19-Dec-16 10:48:41

www.deliaonline.com/recipes/international/european/british/traditional-braised-red-cabbage-with-apples I use this recipe it can be made in the slow cooker or in the oven. I make it Christmas eve and cook it with the gammon and reheat on Christmas day as I think the flavour is better this way.

Fiona2609 Wed 21-Dec-16 13:27:03

Try red cabbage with figs and port. Delicious, lovely colour.

OhWhatFuckeryIsThisNow Wed 21-Dec-16 13:40:40

I chop mine, lightly sauté in a lot of butter with chopped red onion. Add some cinnamon, muscovado sugar a splash of balsamic vinegar (and port) cook slowly until it's cooked the way you like it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now