Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

I'd like to make vanilla fudge

(22 Posts)
takemetobrazil Thu 15-Dec-16 06:44:18

Does anyone have a fool proof recipe?
I have a big heavy fan, jam thermometer and a desire to wow my guests on Christmas Day.

PossumInAPearTree Thu 15-Dec-16 06:49:30

Tesco have a good recipe I always use.

takemetobrazil Thu 15-Dec-16 07:14:39

Thanks Possum, I had a Google, is it the one with evaporated milk?

The carnation one is supremely easy
https://www.carnation.co.uk/recipes/67/ultimate-fudge

If you want something a bit different but completely foolproof, I also make an fudge biscuit cake which everyone loves. I've hopefully attached the recipe in an image. It's seriously good stuff, even when I don't bother to cover it in chocolate

takemetobrazil Thu 15-Dec-16 07:32:47

Thanks Cuppa. That looks nice and easy, I'll have a go. The notes suggest it'll only keep for 5 days so might have to wait a bit.

Your other recipe is know as Chocolate Biscuit Cake in this house and is a firm favourite. ^^

PossumInAPearTree Thu 15-Dec-16 07:36:29

Yes, the condensed milk one.

WhatsGoingOnEh Thu 15-Dec-16 07:39:18

I've made that Carnation Fudge loads of times, it's easy. Just a hint: you must stir it constantly as it boils or it WILL burn. I use the amazing Pampered Chef spatula that can withstand any temperature.

I'm sure it'd last a lot longer than 5 days (if nobody ate it all by then, which is unlikely...)

PosiePaRumPaPaPumParker Thu 15-Dec-16 07:42:32

Butter tablet is easy too

takemetobrazil Thu 15-Dec-16 07:51:11

Ohh, a new one in the mix. There's a great Guardian recipe, how tablet different to fudge?

PosiePaRumPaPaPumParker Thu 15-Dec-16 08:35:04

It's crumbly.

Tablet is harder work on the upper arms as you have to beat it, but it's got a fantastic grainy texture and is even more melt in the mouth

QueenoftheAndals Thu 15-Dec-16 10:39:29

Cuppa does the margarine not affect the taste of that? I'd be tempted to use butter instead.

I think both of the recipes I've suggested are butter, aren't they? If not, I definitely substitute it in!

I've just realised it's got margarine in the instructions but butter in the recipe. Must be a typo seeing as it's a school recipe collection from a couple of decades ago - I'd definitely use butter

FleursDuMal Thu 15-Dec-16 12:52:18

Cuppa, what size tin for the biscuit cake? No sugar thermometer, but will make that cake

I use a 9x13 but it doesn't really matter. It's a bit like a fridge cake. If you have too much for one run you can pour some in to another!

FleursDuMal Fri 16-Dec-16 17:37:11

Thanks Cuppa, will give it a go!

riverwell Fri 16-Dec-16 18:09:32

I made it the other day for the first time and used this recipe.
www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2015/jun/11/how-to-make-the-perfect-fudge-felicity-cloake

JiltedJohnsJulie Sun 18-Dec-16 15:33:19

Dd want to make fudge and I haven't made it since I was a child and am virtually prehistoric now, will we need a sugar thermometer?

NurseRosie Mon 19-Dec-16 05:46:41

https://slowcookingperfected.com/slow-cooker-fudge/
Not sure of the recipe but I made slow cooker fudge last Christmas, was amazing and so easy x

InTheDessert Mon 19-Dec-16 06:16:59

I make it without a thermometer. You need soft ball stage. So put a drop into a glass of cold water, or onto a saucer from the fridge. Leave for a few seconds, and see if you can roll into a ball with your fingers.

I use a James Martin recipient, but havnt got it to hand.

riverwell Mon 19-Dec-16 19:01:21

I used one I bought from JL last week. It's £3 something and a spike with temp on a circluar display at the end, (ie not the usual looking ones which must be a nightmare to clean). Heated to 116 degrees C as guardian recipe suggests.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now