Does anyone meal plan lunches?

(11 Posts)
Careerchanger2017 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:12:12

I currently plan evening meals out for lunch we always end up eating either a ham or cheese sandwich. It's getting so boring! Does anyone meal plan for lunches? Including packed lunches as well?

Mummyoftwo91 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:15:15

I'm in the same boat as you, always ends up sandwiches or some sort of eggs, my dd has decided she hates bread now so struggling on what to feed us both

Ragwort Mon 28-Nov-16 21:21:34

Often left overs from the night before; I have a sandwich toaster - makes an ordinary sandwich more 'interesting'. Sometimes I make a batch of homemade soup, or buy a decent one grin. Jacket potatoes? Or I cook yummy things that my family don't like if I am on my own - mushrooms in a creamy stilton sauce the other day - very nice.

Careerchanger2017 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:21:35

Yes me too, I'm starting to hate bread as I have toast for breakfast I don't have time for anything else in the morning and my dc always want toast for breakfast. I'm sick of the sight of bread. Not sure what bits to get in to make other stuff though or if I should maybe meal plan lunches?

Careerchanger2017 Mon 28-Nov-16 21:22:23

Ooh I had forgotten jacket potatoes and soup (although I like bread with soup!)

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 28-Nov-16 21:22:24

Not really. I plan evening meals fairly carefully but for lunches (two kids on packed lunches and DH and me working from home) I just make sure I have plenty of stuff in.

So pittas (in the freezer), wraps and bread from my breadmaker. A couple of packs of cold meat or joint leftovers, cheese, eggs, tuna, and stuff like hoummous and cottage cheese. Fruit, juice cartons, yogurts and biscuits in sufficient quantities.

If we have leftovers from dinner, we tend to have them next day for lunch. If I cook pasta or soup for dinner, I cook extra for next day's lunch.

TinklyLittleLaugh Mon 28-Nov-16 21:24:21

And loads of salad. We all have lots of salad in our lunches.

WheresTheEvidence Mon 28-Nov-16 21:31:28

To a certain degree;

I'm a nanny so I tend to work to what my plans for the week are;

Monday - home for lunch; generally no food as awaiting OCADO so usually egg and beans of some sort maybe with toast
Tuesday - huge snack at toddler group so basic lunch of avocado & rice cakes for children. I have something when they're napping.
Wednesday - we eat lunch out; so I try to have cold leftovers for a packed lunch; maybe pasta salad, muffins, sandwiches and snack bits.
Thursday - lunch at home; so hot leftovers
Friday - lunch at home; soup as cleaner in, in the am so it's easy to put in the soup maker first thing and reheat when home. Also it makes use of all the veg that needs using up

lastqueenofscotland Mon 28-Nov-16 23:06:04

I either make extras the night before (95% of the time)
Or have Soip and a roll or a jacket potato

northender Tue 29-Nov-16 20:30:17

I got fed up of sandwiches so it tends to be
Leftovers
Soup (I try to make one a week which will do 2 of us 2 meals each
Sardines (those little rectangular tins) in tomato sauce on toast
Beans on toast
Salads
Depends also on what facilities you have for heating things up. A microwave & toaster are a Godsend

Longdistance Tue 29-Nov-16 20:47:12

When I'm organised I'll sort out fresh soup, and have two portions in the fridge at work for two days worth.

Costs next to nothing.

If I forget my soup it's M&S soups or sandwiches.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now